Bald Mtn, Victor Head, S Percy Pk

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snowflea

Reaction score
Date: Tuesday, 7/29/14

Trails: Bald Mtn Notch Trail, Bald Mtn Summit Spur, Rowell Link, Old Summer Club Trail, Victor Head Spur, South Percy Spur, South Pond Link

Special Equipment Required: Feet that aren't bothered by being wet all day

Comments: This was a trailbagging/redlining day. Because of all the rain this week, I knew my feet would be wet from the get-go, and I was not, er, disappointed. :D It turned out to be a great day to hike: cool and autumn like with no bugs! All of BMNT, RL, and most of OSCT are also part of the Cohos Trail which is very well signed and blazed in this area and (I found) easy to follow.

Chris dropped me off at Bald Mtn Notch Trailhead, then drove the 1.7 miles to Old Summer Camp Trail, with the plan being to rendezvous on the upper OSCT. First part of BMNT is a grassy snowmobile trail over gentle terrain with a few muddy patches. There is an unmarked but obvious, easily followed, and recently maintained spur trail that leads to a couple of nice ledges just below the summit. First ledge is north facing and gives a stunning view of the Percys, Longs (NH 100 highest peaks), and Victor Head. South ledge looks out toward the Pilot Range and Kilkenny. Actual summit required a short bushwhack. For the Bald Mtn. Spur, which is not in the WMG, I got 0.4 miles and 400 feet of climb on my GPS.

The highlight of Rowell Link was a beautiful new bridge over Rowell Brook. Another brook crossing had a sign nearby that said "Water." (Well, duh!) :D The Rowell-OSCT junction could have used a sign for folks coming the other way, but it was obvious where to go for those going east to west (or south to north on the Cohos Trail). WMG directions were helpful and spot on.

Old Summer Club Trail to Percy Peaks Trail was lovely - I like this trail very much!! Climbed South Percy because it had been 10 years since my last visit. Chris and I then climbed steep little Victor Head and got a great view back to the Percys and a limited view of Christine Lake. Would definitely not want to fall off the sloping ledge at trail's end. :eek: It is quite a drop.

The lower OSCT was on an old woods road so was very easy, pleasant walking. Some of the junctions could be confusing; just follow the WMG guide. (We brought photocopies today.) Most of the these trails are lightly travelled and still "spongy" underfoot which made for mostly very enjoyable footing.

Decided to do the South Pond Link afterward. This is a 1.1 mile section of the Cohos Trail that is on the map but not in the book. I wouldn't recommend it unless you are doing the CT or enjoy mud-and-fern whacking. It was pretty but very, very wet!

Last edited: