Mount Lindsey (14,042 feet), Colorado

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elhefe007a

Reaction score
I grew up in Vermont, and spending most of my time through my mid-20's climbing all over the Adirondacks and New England (and used this site through a chunk of that time). A few years ago (after a couple year layover in Dallas, Texas) I moved out to Denver to continue my pursuit of pushing myself w/ big time snowboarding, mountaineering and climbing peaks. While I still get back east and continue to check of my 115 list (19 or so to go!), most of my time now days is spent over 13-14k feet working on the 14ers out here in Colorado. Here's a trip report from this past weekend up 14,042 Mount Lindsey, located in the Sangre de Cristo range. Lots of gnarly peaks in this area = good times!

Nice job on Lindsey. Like you I grew up here in the east. I remember my first 14er and looking out over the Rockies for the first time. Something like this came out of my mouth, " Holy Shit look at them, I'm going to have a fn field day here". Have fun and be safe out there !!

Enjoyed your trip report - thanks for posting. Brought back some good memories.

I climbed Lindsey 3 years ago as one of my last CO 14ers, having been turned back previously because my VW Golf did not like the approach road. A few years later we were able to make it all the way to Huerfano trailhead in a Honda Element. The gully was indeed steep, loose and nasty: I was expecting a relatively simple little Class 2 scramble but got more than my money's worth that day. Your route looks much nicer!

On the way back down, I tagged Iron Nipple and Huerfano, the latter a high/Centennial 13er. The next day I climbed California Peak, also a high 13er. Although the area is gorgeous and remote, I didn't want to ever have a reason to drive up that road again! California Peak was an easy Class 1 walkup with lots of wildlife. I saw a herd of bighorn sheep and heard coyotes yipping and howling just a ways down in the trees.

Have fun climbing peaks out there!

I climbed Lindsey 3 years ago as one of my last CO 14ers, having been turned back previously because my VW Golf did not like the approach road. A few years later we were able to make it all the way to Huerfano trailhead in a Honda Element. The gully was indeed steep, loose and nasty: I was expecting a relatively simple little Class 2 scramble but got more than my money's worth that day. Your route looks much nicer!

On the way back down, I tagged Iron Nipple and Huerfano, the latter a high/Centennial 13er. The next day I climbed California Peak, also a high 13er. Although the area is gorgeous and remote, I didn't want to ever have a reason to drive up that road again! California Peak was an easy Class 1 walkup with lots of wildlife. I saw a herd of bighorn sheep and heard coyotes yipping and howling just a ways down in the trees.

Having just my primary vehicle, I avoid almost all the roads in CO of this nature and just do longer hikes. Princeton, Antero, Humbolt and other's, I walked from the very bottem.:eek:

Nice job on Lindsey. Like you I grew up here in the east. I remember my first 14er and looking out over the Rockies for the first time. Something like this came out of my mouth, " Holy Shit look at them, I'm going to have a fn field day here". Have fun and be safe out there !!

Every day in the winter when I'm riding bowls in Vail or Breck or boarding in June on A-Basin I have to pinch myself, let alone the plethora of hiking/climbing/mountaineering options. Too bad REI now claims my paycheck.

We were also planning on tagging Huerfano, but for obvious reasons had to bail out. Congrats on finishing the 14ers, I'm almost halfway there myself. Did you finish/are you working on the Centennials?