owls head tommorow

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richard

Reaction score
Hopefully someone can help. I was planning to hike owls head tom. solo. I haven`t been there before so I`m concerned about the stream crossings. The USGS website states that the current cfs is 455. I don`t know if this is too high to cross, or if I can cross using water shoes. If it`s dangerous I`ll go another day, but I`d love to go if it`s not. Thanks for any advice.

I assume you're referring to the gauge in the east branch Pemi:
http://waterdata.usgs.gov/nh/nwis/uv/?site_no=01074520&PARAmeter_cd=00065,00060,72020

It's about a foot higher than normal (i.e., nearly four times the median discharge rate for this time of year), which is pretty significant even if it's nothing compared to what it was yesterday. Barring any new rain, expect about half of that excess to drain away overnight. And I'd expect streams like Lincoln Brook to drain faster than the Pemi (the East Branch is actually the main branch; it has a huge watershed). So it'll probably be higher than most days, but not completely crazy.

I don't have good info correlating nearby gauges with the Owl's Head stream crossings, unfortunately. If anybody has a record of crossing dates and conditions (even if it's just "knee-high", "thigh-high") I would like to collect it.

When I did Owl's Head it was July with high water. I brought a pair of Teva sandals to wear when crossing the streams. On the way out, there was a couple, woman about 50 and the guy was in his sixties and they were at the second stream crossing. He had lost his boots, she lost her hiking poles and look wiped and they were both soaked but he was convinced that they would camp out and summit the next day. Someone had taken pity on them and given him a pair of size 12 sneakers (when he was an 8.5). They did not turn around that I knew. Better to bring the sandals or water shoes, cross the streams and put on dry boots and warm socks once over the second crossing. Also be aware that the water is very cold, even in July and feels like pins and needles.

Enjoy the trek. It is long but rewarding.

You should be fine at that level. I've done at 550 cfs and used water shoes because it was just easier than looking for a line to hop and the two problem crossings are only 0.4 miles apart. I put on water shoes at first, crossed and wore to second crossing and then switched back to boots after. Most of the river is an easy hop but there is a narrow channel that is deeper (it was about knee deep the day I did) and that is where it could get tricky. Levels of 600-700 cfs seem to be the popular "trouble" levels on this forum. I'd put it closer to 500 personally but I'm not the greatest rock hopper.

We bushwhacked around the crossings last week, but from what I saw of the Lincoln Brook crossing, the issue there was more of whether or not you would get wet, but it didn't look particularly dangerous. Of course it has rained since then...

I'm sorry i do not have anything to add to the discussion, and given the time you're probably on the trail anyway, but i would appreciate hearing your experience on this trail My wife and i are planning this for Sunday. Please report! Thanks

I`m sorry "HIKIN` DOOLS", but I changed plans! I`m doing the hike Sunday also. Ill be hiking with a friend. We hope to be on the trail by 8:00 a.m. Maybe we`ll see each other.:)

Great! I'm going to try the Black Pond bushwhack but will also bring my watershoes. Our paths will probably cross, tho i think we're going to get out there early (6-7) so that we can be back early enough to set up our camp at Lafayette before any more rain sets in. Looks iffy but forecast (for now) calling for PM showers. Have a great hike!