little attitash 7/31/14

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bryan

Reaction score
date: 7/31/14

trails: ski trails, herd path, bushwhack

conditions: headed up the ski trails on the right side, facing up, and after getting to the top of the double chair took northwest passage to wilfreds gawm. the going was good until the final climb where the trails were pretty overgrown and somewhat wet. some game paths on the slopes helped out. one of my older map programs showed a trail continuing from the ski area to little attitash and that was reinforced by a recent report i read. the trail/herd path heads in just to the right of a pile of old deck parts. it was a bit obscure and blocked with blowdown in places, but very clear higher up. some paint markings along the way and in places it really felt like an old trail corridor more than a herd path. the trail disappeared after reaching some nice ledges, adorned with cairns, and from there it was a short bushwhack across the long flattish summit to the various high bumps and ledges. woods were sprucey and a bit scrappy, but never bad going. some cairns at most of the ledges and an old corridor became apparent in spots along the way. the recognized high point is on a raised ledge with cairn on top. i continued on to another ledgy bump beyond that was quite nice. a bit northish of there was another nice ledge which had good north views and the only firtower related artifacts i could find. descending i came down the other side of the ski area using lower saco and then a beat up service road coming down near the mountain coaster.

equipment: nothing in particular.

comments: i really enjoyed this hike. solid climb and good views on the trails up to the top of the ski area which had great views from its platform though it was hazy today. the top of the mountain was real neat with numerous ledges and more views from various points. very cool.

bryan

[email protected]