Sphinx Trail

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dailey7779

Reaction score
Date of Hike: Saturday, August 2nd

Trails: Great Gulf, Sphinx

Trail Conditions:
Did trail work on the sphinx, click here for full report and pics. Trail is still narrow just below treeline, but I opened it up a little so it's in better shape. There is a problem area at the first the water crossing when descending, the trail takes a sharp right over the brook. Hikers were not crossing here and would wander off to the left or straight and get dead-ended. I blocked this off and put up mini cairns on the other side of the brook. I go into it in more detail about this in the report. DO NOT RELY on these cairns to remain as rangers may knock them down. There was a big blowdown on the lower section of the trail near a water crossing. Removed everything except the tree trunk, the trail is easy to follow now and no reason to go off trail. If you think you stepped off the trail at any point, STOP, turn around and go back to the last spot you were sure you were on the trail and go from there.

Comments: The Sphinx Trail is a wild, remote, and beautiful trail! It is lightly used, rough, steep, parts of it is in a brook, and not blazed since it's in a wilderness area. If you are looking for an adventurous trail, this or any of the trails in the Great Gulf Wilderness are a must!

Name: Chris

Email: [email protected]

Last edited: