Mahoosuc/RMC Mop-up Tour

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snowflea

Reaction score
Date: Tuesday, 8/05/14

Trails: 1. Four Soldiers
2. Austin Brook, Gates Brook, Middle Mtn, Peabody
3. Mahoosuc - Mascot Mine/Pond
4. Castle View Loop
5. Gordon Fall

Comments:
1. Needed to do the "stick" of the Four Soldiers-Underhill lollipop. Very pleased to find Pond of Safety Road in good shape and driveable. Was thinking I'd have to mtn. bike into this one. Access is via Ingerson Road, across Rt. 2 from Six Gun City. Trail was in good shape, with a brand new looking bridge just south of POS Road. Returned to car, then walked 0.2 m. out and back to POS, attempting to not crush hundreds of the tiniest toads I've ever seen!! :eek:

2. Proceeded to Shelburne trails for "crack of noon" start. Had to try out the fun cable crossing of Austin Brook for giggles. Just barely made it across - upper body strength required! Gates Brook Trail is overgrown except for the lower western part. Middle Mtn Trail is well blazed and started off nice (read: seemingly well travelled) although the sharp right hand turn at 0.4 m is easy to miss. Keep eyes peeled! There are some limited views from the Middle Mtn Ledges and a rock with faded paint saying "TOP," but the high point is a little ways farther. From the summit down to Peabody Brook Trail the "trail" is often yellow paint blazes through the woods. If not for the blazes, we would have been bushwhacking! We tried to pull out a few ferns to help distinguish the "trail." (This trail reminded me of when thru-hiked the Tuscarora Trail a few years ago, which also had long sections of "blazed bushwhacking.") Peabody Brook Trail down to North Road is like I-93 in comparison, and the roadwalk back to the car was welcomed.

3. Loathe to drive questionable Hogan Road, we decided to snag Mascot Pond Spur via the traditional Mahoosuc Trail start at Rt 16 in Gorham. The 1.1 mile route through the confusing roads, rail trail, canal, and unmarked trail just to get to the "new" start of the Mahoosuc Trail was confusing to say the least, but once again the WMG was spot on. Mascot Pond had a few frogs that were fun to watch, but I've never been a big fan of mine tailings...

4. I thought I'd completed all the RMC trails years ago, but while filling out my lists a few weeks back, could not find any documentation of the Castle View Trail, so off we went to the new RMC parking lot (nice!) at the end of Randolph Hill Road for the Mt. Crescent - Castle View - Carlton Notch loop. Lower Mt. Crescent Trail seems to have been relocated since I last hiked in these parts. Carlton Notch had one confusing section due to midsummer growth hiding a sign but quickly figured out (go left). Being an RMC trail, everything was very well signed.

5. Finished off the day by parking at Appalachia, walking the 1/4 m or so to Gordon Fall and jumping in. Heaven! :)