Bear Canister/Bag Recommendations

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DayTrip

Reaction score
I am having trouble finding a thread from earlier this summer about bear canisters. It had a lot of recommendations for good and inexpensive products that were highly rated by the VFTT community. Tried searching bear bag and bear canister with no luck. Not even sure if it was a thread dedicated to this or developed off another thread. It had 30-40+ comments.

If anyone recalls what thread that was and has it handy please post here. Thanks!

The Contender Model 101 is the one I was interested in buying. I rarely (well really never) camp out more than 1 night. Does anyone have first hand experience with this or other models they recommend? Reviewer on SectionHiker seemed pretty high on this model.

The Contender Model 101 is the one I was interested in buying. I rarely (well really never) camp out more than 1 night. Does anyone have first hand experience with this or other models they recommend? Reviewer on SectionHiker seemed pretty high on this model.

My only firsthand experience so far is that I determined that my older son is smarter than a bear, but it took him a couple of minutes to figure out :)

It looks just like a baby version of the canisters (BearVault?) that the WMNF will loan you. I have used those, and they're much bigger than I would ever need. Even with 6 people on an overnight, I stashed all manner of stuff in the canister just to fill it up. The BB locking tabs actually have a small spring-loaded pin buried in the groove, so unlike the BearVault, you can't open it with a coin, you need something pointier, like a key or a screwdriver blade on your multitool. I also successfully used a bent large-sized paperclip.

For when I'm alone, it looks like a fine size for 1 or 2 nights (remembering that the first day's food doesn't usually need to be stored in the canister). It's small enough to be easy to slide into any pack, unlike the BearVault which is kind of a pain.

I've been meaning to ask. If you have a bear bag next to you, will a black bear avoid you? Or is this the same rule for everything else - it won't stop a bear that associates people with food? When I camp in atypical spots I tend to keep my stuff next to me in lieu of wasting my time hanging something poorly.

I've used the Odor Proof "Opsaks" a few times in the PNW. They are basically just a high-tech plastic bag, and probably a little bit less protection than what most people want around these parts.
They do work well as liners for traditional bear vaults ( and/or while preparing food) to keep the odors shut down when you aren't actively cooking or eating. The main trick is to keep your hands clean when handling the bag so you don't contaminate the outside of the bag or seal area with odors.

We have a Bearikade Weekender - www.wild-ideas.net - which was purchased mainly for Sierra hiking, where
bear cans are required. Freakishly smart bears out there!

It's pricey but I believe still the lightest can on the market. We have been very pleased with it.

We were camped once near a camper who had a bear canister which a racoon made off with during the night. The racoon never got in but it took the camper an hour to find the canister.

At the risk of getting off topic, what do others think about using bear spray to un-acclimate our eastern Black Bears to humans. We've only carried bear spray out west, where it could be a matter of self defense, but perhaps there is a use for it here, too