Osceola - West Peak

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DayTrip

Reaction score
My hiking time will be limited this weekend so I'm thinking of hitting Osceola Sunday AM from Tripoli Road because I have never come in from that direction. Rather than doing the "usual" trip over to East Osceola I was wondering how accessible West Peak is.

1) Is there any kind of herd path to the summit or is it pure bushwhacking?
2) How thick is the woods?
3) Are there are views from West Peak on cliffs, clearings or anything? i.e. Is it worth the effort or just a checkmark on a list?

Only looks to be a mile or so from official trail to peak and not much elevation change. If it is not a full blown bushwhack I thought I might try and check it out if time allows. Looks like it could have views. If anyone has done or has recommendations let me know. Thanks.

Coming from Tripoli road, and taking the left where the trail turns sharp right, you descend along a herd path, following traces of the old telegraph wire. Right before it gets steep down, at a fairly distinct erratic, you turn right and it's thick for a short while before picking up a pretty easy herd path to the summit of Middle Osceola. From there, it is a pretty easy ridge walk with occasional herd paths all the way to West. Just before West is the cliff viewpoint known as "Peggy's Perch".

Tim

My hiking time will be limited this weekend so I'm thinking of hitting Osceola Sunday AM from Tripoli Road because I have never come in from that direction. Rather than doing the "usual" trip over to East Osceola I was wondering how accessible West Peak is.

1) Is there any kind of herd path to the summit or is it pure bushwhacking?
2) How thick is the woods?
3) Are there are views from West Peak on cliffs, clearings or anything? i.e. Is it worth the effort or just a checkmark on a list?

Only looks to be a mile or so from official trail to peak and not much elevation change. If it is not a full blown bushwhack I thought I might try and check it out if time allows. Looks like it could have views. If anyone has done or has recommendations let me know. Thanks.

There are much harder bushwhacks out there, but be careful not to underestimate this one. A missed turn could turn into a long day.

I had quite the experience on West Peak coming across an extremely territorial Spruce Grouse at the cliff view. Harassed my partner and I for 20 minutes before flying at my head as we ran away. Pecked/clawed the back of my head. And when we thought we'd lost him, he came back again to chase us further. This was 4 years ago so YMMV with him.

We looped up the dogleg slide to the main peak, then over to Middle, West, and down to East Pond trail to close the loop to the cars. I don't remember too much of a herd path b/t Middle and West but staying on the ridge will get you there.

I took a moderately-paced AMC group over those peaks last October, and checked my notes. The trip from West to Middle took 45 minutes. Then, 35 minutes from Middle to the main Osceola summit. We did a loop from the East Pond Trail over the entire ridge to the Greeley Ponds Trail -- if you're contemplating just an out-and-back from the main trail, then the above is your return route. Your outbound route should be slightly faster in light of the net elevation loss, albeit small. It's just over 1/4 mile from the main summit to Middle [including the trail portion], and then another 1/4 mile to West. I agree with Raven's comment, and would generalize to say that whenever you're bushwhacking, the uncertainty factor goes up, and your time allowance needs to reflect that.

Coming off the main summit, you'd head into the woods right where the trail bends left. After heading NW for a short distance, you will start feeling as though you're following the crest of the ridge, which continues to head NW. As Tim mentioned, you're likely to enjoy the benefit of herd paths for a significant portion of the way. What's thick and what isn't varies depending on exactly where you enter and what sweet spots you notice/don't notice along the way. As long as you're heading NW and following the ridge crest give or take, you'll get there. One navigational note: when you're almost to the West peak, the ridge steepens, almost to the point of resembling "the chimney" between the Main and East peaks. Head straight up -- a pretty short scramble -- and it's much worse to either side of the ridge. You'll gain the perch, and in another few feet the west summit.

Happily, my group did not encounter any hyper-territorial grouse. So unless another has grown up over the past year, you may be free and clear. My record encounter in that dept. was on the Rocky Branch Trail, heading up out of the stream bed -- but that guy may at this point be past his prime -- that was 3 years ago.

Alex

Last edited:
Thanks. I'll see how I'm doing on time Sunday and may plunge in and check it out.

Was just on Middle tonight...in addition to what's posted in this thread, there are some detailed descriptions on NewEnglandTrailConditions.com (Trailwrights 72 Peakbagging List page on that site links to the reports). I had the tracker on my phone going and come up with just under 0.4 miles from the hairpin turn to the summit of Middle Osceola. There's a phenomenal cliff view less than 100 feet west of the highpoint.

When you guys say "the hairpin" which one do you mean? Looking at the map there are a few turns I'd categorize as a hairpin near the top. There is one at about 4020' that is u-shaped (traveling roughly WNW and then turning around due East) and then another one about 4190' (traveling East, then NNW, then East). Traveling from the first hairpin Middle Osceola is almost due North. From the second turn it is more NNW.

I am assuming it is the turn at 4190' I want based on descriptions above? I assume only one will have an obvious path leading away but having not done this trail before I didn't know.

Hairpin is where [coming up the trail,] you turn left to start the BW and the trail turns right to the main peak. Tim

As Tim relates, it's the final turn as you ascend. It really isn't a hairpin -- rather, a curved 90-degree right turn. The trail heads right, toward the main summit, and you want to head left. Not the true hairpin turn that you see 100-200' below that -- although there's certainly nothing wrong with exploring that route if you're so inclined.

Alex