Flume/Liberty loop - Up Flume Slide, down Liberty Spring 8/8/14

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shamples

Reaction score
Well since I finished my 48 NH 4,000's last year, I have been going off the grid and trying to do my "bucket list" hikes of either peaks I want to do or simply trails I missed that I want to do.

When I "bagged" Flume and Liberty some years ago, I did it with a friend and carspot to hike straight thru from Lincoln Woods and down Liberty Spring. But I have always been wondering about that dreaded Flume Slide Trail and knew I needed to see it for myself! Today was the day.

Arrived at the Flume Gorge parking lot and set out on the bike path at 5:45AM
Hit the trail at 6:10
Hit the Liberty Spring/Flume Slide junction at 6:30
Up the 3.4 miles on Flume Slide to peak Flume at 9:20
breakfast up top for 20 minutes and left at 9:40
Peaked Liberty at 10:40
lunch for 20 minutes and left at 11
Back down to the Liberty Spring/Flume Slide junction at 12:45
bike path at 1:05
back at car at 1:25

Now I have heard all the reports of try not to do Flume Slide when wet. Well when I pulled up this morning, the bike trail was soaked. Tree leaves were dripping. I got a bit scared, but said screw it since I had drove up all that way. It was happening!

The first, what?, 2 miles of that Flume Slide trail was so easy. Many flat walking spots and seemed like slight inclines. This made me scared too. I knew I was gonna pay soon.

The slide arrives, and its not bad at first. Then the first of the ledges comes. Very wet and treacherous when your boots are wet but I went slow and was very careful. Got up the first ledge but was pretty hairy. Did a bunch more but I must admit, I did utilize a side herd path here and there on the way up just for safety sake and peace of mind. It looks like these herd paths have become popular since they were easy to follow.

There was a couple spots where I thought I lost the trail, but basically if those herd paths come back to the slide, you are doing ok. Crazy how tough it was being so wet though. If those were dry, the whole thing would be a piece of cake.

And that is the difference for me when comparing the Tripyramid Slides and Owls Head slide... those are in the wide open sun and dry with great footing. Compared to this one socked in the trees and getting no sun and very wet. Maybe I would try this again if the Whites had no rain for like a week... I wonder if they would be a bit dryer then and easier?

But overall a great experience and great day. Really fun and challenging doing some of these slides.

My only other comment about the hike would be, the Liberty Spring Trail says its 2.3 miles from the bottom junction all the way up to Franconia Ridge Trail??? C'mon, that seems like it is way more than that!!!! Hard to believe! LOL