Lincoln and Lafayette for #16 and #17 09-Aug-2014

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bikehikeskifish

VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
#16 and #17 you say? Hasn't Tim done the 48 a few times already? You're right. But not with Gryffin. We were going to head to Owl's Head but our companions had to bail. The forecasts weren't 100% in agreement, but it looked like light winds and not too hot, so Franconia Ridge looked like a good choice. Now, on such a nice day, we got there at 7:30 and the lot was 75% full. After three brief stops at the waterfalls on Falling Waters, Gryffin put the hammer down and dragged my butt to the top of Little Haystack. Interesting to me was the fact that he immediately went to the highest rock and sat down. Peakbagger? Maybe.

IMG_3261.JPG

Little Haystack

The route so far was largely dry, and the Franconia Ridge Trail was dry as well. I packed extra water today for Gryffin thinking there wouldn't be any up there, although with yesterday's rain, there were puddles to help stay cool, but no muddy stretches. When there is no danger of annoying people or getting lost, I will let him explore ahead, and he's very good about checking in. With the crowds today, I worked very hard on "heel" so he mostly stayed behind me. At strategic stopping points, he made friends with the kids we met today, performing his suite of tricks for them. My apologies to their parents ;)

IMG_3263.JPG

Lincoln #16

Lincoln was more crowded than Little Haystack but not terribly so. Gryffin doesn't like to sit still for pictures, or for me to take a break. He will sit still for food, however, so we ate lunch here at 10:30 before heading north. On the way, we bumped into Puck. I'm curious how many people he counted today while doing the summit steward volunteer job.

IMG_3281.JPG

North Lincoln

Next up would be North Lincoln, and with the time we were making, I considered exploring part way down the slide, but seeing some clouds blowing over Lafayette, and with George under a veil, I put that idea to bed and we ascended Lafayette to join the throngs. I found a spot out of the wind and where the sun had warmed the rocks and we sat and ate again and enjoyed the view of the Pemi. While I was there, J&J walked by. I thank them for taking our picture.

IMG_3290.JPG

Lafayette #17 with me
IMG_3300.JPG

Lafayette #17

The trip down the Old Bridle Path was much wetter than the earlier parts of the day. There were still loads of people coming up and I used the opportunities to teach Gryffin to sit patiently to the side of the trail. When we reached the last stretch of the trail, we used the brook to clean up and cool off. Then I got in the back of the car and fell asleep while Gryffin drove home :cool:

Tim

Last edited:
Hey, Tim, those views look familiar! :D

One Edit: "than Little Haystack but terribly so" --> "but NOT terribly so" ... ?