Garmin GPSMAP 60CSx vs. Windows 7 redux

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raymond

Reaction score
My gut is telling me no... but my gut is also very
I thought I would try again to use my GPS (a Garmin 60CSx) with the Windows 7 computer we have, which would be a lot easier than always having to haul the old XP one out of the crawl space.

I installed the Garmin Trip & Waypoint Manager disk, then plugged in the GPS and turned it on. Windows immediately began searching for the proper driver, but came up empty.

I tried to do it manually, following instructions that Windows gave me, but I got a message saying that the disk doesn’t contain any 64-bit compatible [software? drivers? data? whatever it was]. So now what? When I first got this computer a few years ago, I had to change some permissions to get the GPS and computer to work together, but once I did that, everything was fine.

Unfortunately, there was something wrong with the computer, it kept turning itself off at random times, and a guy at Hewlett-Packard, who tried to help me over the Internet, suggested I reformat the hard drive.

Big mistake! Ever since I did that, the GPS hasn’t worked with the computer. And it didn’t stop the computer from turning itself off, either.

We ended up sending the computer back so that something could be replaced, whatever it was that was no good and kept failing, I don’t remember what it was now, and it probably isn’t important. But reformatting the hard drive didn’t have anything to do with fixing the problem, but did somehow screw up the GPS from working.

I know we already went over all this a few years ago in a similar thread, but does anyone have any ideas what I can do to get the proper drivers installed so the computer will recognize the GPS?

I remember another Windows message from back when I tried this before that the Garmin GPS had known compatibility problems with Windows 7, but I know there are at least some people here who use them together, and I used to be able to do it too, so I don’t believe in that compatibility issues nonsense.

From the Devices and Printers:

‘‘The software for this device has been blocked from starting because it is known to have problems with Windows. Contact the hardware vendor for a new driver. (Code 48)’’

I did contact Garmin back in the day and installed updates through the XP computer, so I shouldn’t still be getting this message, should I?

I have a Garmin GPS 60CSx and a Windows 7 computer, and I'm getting them to work together. The only issue that I've encountered is that when you start the main program (the Trip & Waypoint Manager, I guess), you get an error having to do with registry permissions. The workaround is to run the program as Administrator ... right click and select "Run as Administrator". Of course, you have to be the Administrator for this to work.

Have you tried installing Garmin's BASECAMP program, which is currently supported. I think Trip and Waypoint Manager has been discontinued. That may be the source of your drivers problem. BASECAMP can handle your file transfer needs with the GPS and do a lot more.