Asolo Boot Longevity? – Read This!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
An aside to Chris's comment

I guess boots are now "consumables" like all the other crap we buy!

Peter Limmer please forgive us!!

Even custom Limmers have issues, I had to abandon my set after they were resoled the first time as the boots lost significant width. When I called them up and discussed it their reply was "oh that happens on occasion when we resole, maybe you will get used it" I never did get used to it despite a lot of trying.

Really?

My Asolos failed as all of the above. The problem was disintegration and drying out of the mid-sole.

I took them for resoling and was told that it was impossible because the mid-sole was not a replaceable item.

When I returned them to EMS I was told that 8-year boot life was "normal" and no replacement was available. (so much for lifetime satisfaction guarantee).

I guess boots are now "consumables" like all the other crap we buy!

Peter Limmer please forgive us!!

cb

Oh yeah - The Asolo boot failure mode is dramatic too. My boot showed no signs of weakening or compromise problems until -BANG! - the sole was flapping in the breeze as I was half way into a 12-mile hike. Got duct tape???

I contacted Rocky Mountain Resole in CO as they came recommended. I explained what happened and they told me that they are resolable. They have special equipment to do the job. I asked to be sure they would remove all the degraded material before putting on the new sole because I did not want the new sole to be glued to the bad material and they said yes. I sent a pair in for resoling. I'll post about the results.

Separately I had a pair of walking shoes resoled at the local cobbler and he sanded down the sole until the midsole was very thin (but still there) and glued the new sole on the existing midsole. In that case there was no issue with the midsole. So it appears there are different levels of resoling.

Even custom Limmers have issues, I had to abandon my set after they were resoled the first time as the boots lost significant width. When I called them up and discussed it their reply was "oh that happens on occasion when we resole, maybe you will get used it" I never did get used to it despite a lot of trying.

Same thing happened to me. I could never wear them after the resole job.

Unrelated to this particular material demise; but Shoe Goo is a fine product for reattaching soles in a pinch. Tore the sole off of a mountain bike shoe that used "clipless" SPD pedals and used Shoe Goo to reattach it. Years later still holding.

Often our feet grow as we get older. My feet have grown about two sizes in the last few decades. Its not just the resoling. I have some western boots that I've been able to improve the fit with shoe trees that help stretch them. Never needed to do it with hiking boots, though I may need to try it since my wife bought me some heavy but comfortable socks.

Often our feet grow as we get older. My feet have grown about two sizes in the last few decades. Its not just the resoling. I have some western boots that I've been able to improve the fit with shoe trees that help stretch them. Never needed to do it with hiking boots, though I may need to try it since my wife bought me some heavy but comfortable socks.

Often what appears to be "growing feet" is actually fallen arches that make the foot measure longer.