What would your meal plan look like for 2 night backpack trip

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hate wilderness cooking and hate cleaning up even more. I eat purely out of necessity on these trip.
Pre-hard boiled eggs for breakfast day 1. Steel cut Oatmeal pre packaged in Freezer bags for breakfast Day 2. (Aeorpress makes the best camp coffee IMO, but I usually just use coffee or tea bags in a tin cup)
Premade PB&Js + snacks for lunch on the go.
Instant Mashed Potato Based FBC For dinners (There's a ton of different instant mashed potato recipes, the dry weight savings can be spent on a can of Oskar Blues which will hit the spot better than any gourmet meal)
And of course an emergency packet of Ramen that can be cooked in a freezer bag.

Packs light, Nothing touches my Jetboil but water, and nothing to clean up except for licking off my spoon and packing out empty freezer bags.

Last edited:
For me, enjoying a meal after a long day of hiking is part of the pleasure. I very rarely take commercial dehydated meals along, and then only for the end of a multi day trip where I know there'll be water (if water will be lacking, substitute an army MRE for the dehydrated meal, then you have the fun of opening all the accessory items).

Breakfast, instant oatmeal with added dried cranberries (or, depending on the season, wild blueberries or rasberries?). I've also rehydrated homemade venison jerky for steak and eggs when a buddy brought eggs.

Lunch, some kind of hard dry sausage (summer sausage, salami, abruzesse, etc.), sharp cheddar, crackers... will keep for several days even without refrigeration. For the end of a long trip, maybe one of the instant tuna "lunch kits" with canned tuna, crackers, and a package of pickle relish.

Dinner: I have several standard meals:
Pasta (could be real pasta or ramen) with sun dried tomatoes and canned shrimp and lots of garlic.
Canned chicken with stove top stuffing and dried cranberries (my kid's favorite).
Dehydrated ground beef (dried in a home food dehydrator) mixed into Mrs. Grass's instant soup (only tried this once so far, it was awesome, but we were REAL hungry, so I tried it again at home and it was still good).
On the first night if it's not too hot and there's a place for a campfire, I'll sometimes take a steak, marinate it in something, double bag it in a ziplock and freeze it and wrap it in your extra fleece, it'll keep until you reach the campsite (and keep a couple of canned beers cold, too).
The often maligned scout meal of ground beef, onions, potatoes, and whatever else you want mixed together, wrapped in tinfoil, and thrown directly in the campfire isn't bad either for a first night/short trip.