Jewell trail camping

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tuckermanpaws

Reaction score
I am doing a loop hike starting and ending in Pinkham. I plan to hike up the Great Gulf, find a place to camp, and then hike over to Eisenhower for the decent. I am trying to mix things up a bit and get out for the night. I will be with my dog and I need a place to setup a tent. I heard that there is a spot just below treeline on Jewell, is this accurate? I do not want to break any laws, so any legit suggestions are welcome. Thanks!!

This would be said spot. Which as far as I can tell is legal by the WMNF backcountry camping rules. I want to say it's about .1-.2 miles before the alpine zone on the north side of the trail.
P9020061.JPG

There are a couple of spots tucked in there below treeline, like the one posted above. As far as I know, there is no water source, so plan accordingly. (Feel free to correct me about the water source; I just don't remember seeing one.)

The spot just below treeline on the Jewell is a very nice spot, but yes, there's no water. On a clear night it can be magical to hike back up to treeline (a short stroll) and look at the moon and stars.

There is a spring on Clay (IIRC), not convenient to the campsite, but it can work if you have some time to make the water run.