Your impression of this summer's temps and rain fall?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Rankin

Reaction score
In the Hudson Valley / Catskills, the perception is that this has been a dry, cool summer. I tend to agree. I asked a weather geek to analyze some data, and his conclusion:

This July was WARMER than historical averages, but cooler than the last 4. It was also wetter than average, but we did have a dry spring.

Full article:

http://hudsonvalleyweather.com/hvw-statistics-july-2014/

(Other numbers are available for comparison in the article)

So much for perceptions!

Funny, over my way, I had far less really hot days and I think Portland and Concord had similar conditions. Not sure on the average temp but 90 degree days were rare. I know I ran the AC in my home office far less than some years. I think I ran the household heat pump for cooling about 3 times. The weather of late has been nice mid September weather about a month early, this upcoming week is supposed to revert to normal. The NH farmers almanac reportedly is calling for a colder than average winter but less than average snow fall.

I'm getting the same perception in S. Connecticut: cool and dry. Not too shabby. I read a report last week of leaves changing already in Pittsburgh. Through July, record lows are outpacing record highs 2 to 1 over the continental United States, according to NOAA.

I'm in NE CT and I'd characterize summer as cooler and definitely dry. I can barely recall any 90 deg days this year. My yard was still dry AFTER all the heavy rain we got this past Wed too. All the plant life in my area has that wilted appearance to it as well.

Yep, same here in the Adirondacks. It's been a cool one this year, both winter and summer.

The overall temperature warmed from 1979 - 2000, and then stopped warming and leveled off from 2000 - present. This accounts for why we accurately perceive a cooler year, but the press can still blather about it being the "5th warmest on record" or some other such nonsense. (With random variation at a newly established, higher level, values will frequently be among the "highest on record." This can be used to convince sheep that any particular trend is continuing, even though it is not.)

As one who admittedly doesn't know when to come in out of the rain I haven't noticed much difference this year. As for temperatures, I did notice my electric a/c bill is lower this year but, overall, it is less costly to cool my house than heat it so I've been wondering, "WTF, where's the global warming?"

In the Hudson Valley / Catskills, the perception is that this has been a dry, cool summer. I tend to agree. I asked a weather geek to analyze some data, and his conclusion:

This July was WARMER than historical averages, but cooler than the last 4. It was also wetter than average, but we did have a dry spring.

Full article:

So much for perceptions!

We've missed out on the scorchers that we've had the past few summers, but I wouldn't say it was significantly cooler, just steadier. Just natural weather fluctuations within the larger climatic scope. I'll take it - the heat humidity is not great fat guy weather. :)

In the Hudson Valley / Catskills, the perception is that this has been a dry, cool summer. I tend to agree. I asked a weather geek to analyze some data, and his conclusion: This July was WARMER than historical averages, but cooler than the last 4. It was also wetter than average, but we did have a dry spring. Full article: http://hudsonvalleyweather.com/hvw-statistics-july-2014/ (Other numbers are available for comparison in the article) So much for perceptions!

Perception is a funny thing. It depends on what we experience, our personal preferences; on what we see in the media, and what's not made available. The following illustrates that point and why, perhaps, not a lot of people know that record lows outnumbered record highs 3:1 last 30 days.

http://notalotofpeopleknowthat.word...umber-highs-31-but-you-wont-hear-it-from-pbs/

I do agree that it's been great weather to be outdoors this summer. I could get used to this! Yeah--right. ;)

Didn't jump into any rivers after July after hiking... didn't swim in a lake all summer... it was cccccold.... bring on the snow :)

I spoke to a friend last night at the Hopkinton State Fair (NH). He enters his giant pumpkins in the major fairs in NE, and they usually get up to around 900lbs by this time, give or take a hundred. His entry this year was 499. All other things being equal, the soil temp at night was too low. It didn't heat up enough during the day to maintain an ideal temp overnight.

Funny you mention the pumpkins. I was at the Woodstock Fair yesterday (CT) and I always take pictures of the giant pumpkins because I have a friend in NH that grows giant pumpkins. The first place winner this year was like 1,110 lbs or thereabouts. Last year they had pumpkins in the 1,800 lb range.

These people have their system very much dialed in, so temp and sunlight are are about the only variables in play. I don't think it's been less sunny this growing season, but that's just my impression. So that just leaves temperature. The Giant pumpkin temperature metric! :)

Full article:

So much for perceptions!

Tom, update for our area from the guys at HVW: http://hudsonvalleyweather.com/hvw-statistics-2014-rainfall-analysis-thru-august/

It has in fact been quite dry over the last few months in many locales.

Cool and dry. NYC TV weathermen constantly commenting on the fact that there were only 3-4 90 degree days this year.

Just because it didn’t seem hot where you were doesn’t mean it hasn’t been hot elsewhere. Remember those three-digit temperatures (Fahrenheit) during the Australian Open? Regularly up to 110°, wasn’t it?

To paraphrase Colbert, whatever’s happening right now isn’t all that’s happening.