Loop Hike through Mahoosuc Notch

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trailbagger

Reaction score
Trails: Speck Pond Trail, May Cutoff, Mahoosuc Trail, Notch Trail

After a long unpleasant drive up Success Pond Road in a low-clearance vehicle less than a year old, I arrived at the Notch Trail parking lot. I road-walked from there to the Speck Pond Trail, so that I could ascend through Mahoosuc Notch vs descend ... I thought that would be easier. In hindsight I think it was a mistake, because the descent from Mahoosuc Arm is over extremely steep slabs that are almost dangerous in places. I passed three NOBO through-hikers that seemed to be in a state of shock, one with a bloody forehead and another who showed me his bleeding leg. Without any solicitation on my part, each of them gave me a large measure of advice on how to get through the notch. As I hadn't hiked it before, it kind of freaked me out. (The advice to stow the poles was sound, although it did add to the height clearance of the pack, making the crawlspaces harder to negotiate.)

Anyway, I got through it and managed to enjoy it, at least for the first hour ... by the time I was done (2 hours), I was toast. No blood lost, however.

Speck Pond Trail is in great shape, with evidence of recent work to get around and through recently logged areas. The Notch Trail is also in great shape. This section of the Mahoosuc Trail, despite being a natural disaster, is at least cleared of blowdowns and well blazed.

Mahoosuc Range: 46.7% Trails, 46.6% Miles

Last edited: