20 Questions About The Search And Rescue Scenario

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Question number 3, I failed. I just go, hell, I almost never know what I'm hiking until I'm past exit 23. Also, I do not carry maps, just a compass. I have looked at the WM maps enough to get by with just a compass.

But that alone wouldn't make you negligent, hence the rubric. I suspect you'd get high marks most of the other questions. :)

From the study cited in the hikesafe card thread:

"To decrease the number of people involved in most search and rescue, efforts should be focused on preventing wilderness users from getting lost"
(meanwhile, the FS is busily painting over trail markers)

"and preventing lower extremity musculoskeletal injuries."
(meanwhile, the FS is busily removing bridges and leaving debris in the trails)

Hard to believe that a smart lawyer would overlook these points when someone decides to fight a rescue fee.

From the study cited in the hikesafe card thread:

"To decrease the number of people involved in most search and rescue, efforts should be focused on preventing wilderness users from getting lost"
(meanwhile, the FS is busily painting over trail markers)

"and preventing lower extremity musculoskeletal injuries."
(meanwhile, the FS is busily removing bridges and leaving debris in the trails)

Hard to believe that a smart lawyer would overlook these points when someone decides to fight a rescue fee.

Excellent POV

Unfortunately the state of NH F&G coordinates and is responsible for the rescues in the state. National Forest employees can and do participate but in reality despite the majority of rescues occurring on Federal Land, NH F&G receives no revenue from the USFS to pay for those rescues. Thus the FS doesn't really have a lot of incentive to assist F&G with their local goals if they conflict with federal wilderness policy.

Question number 3, I failed. I just go, hell, I almost never know what I'm hiking until I'm past exit 23. Also, I do not carry maps, just a compass. I have looked at the WM maps enough to get by with just a compass.

I once ran into Larry Garland and during the conversation I asked if he carried a map. "No, I don't" was his reply. I asked if he thought that would make him negligent and he kind of smirked.

Tim

I once ran into Larry Garland and during the conversation I asked if he carried a map. "No, I don't" was his reply. I asked if he thought that would make him negligent and he kind of smirked.

Tim

I'm guessing that's ironic based on the context. Is he a map maker?

Larry is the AMC's cartographer and has created all the recent AMC maps.

I actually carry the plastic version of the AMC map of the entire white mountain region in my pack just so I can check the map box on the ten essentials. I rarely use a map but used Washburn's presidential map for two hikes in row when hiking in the Great Gulf. On both hikes we managed to lose the trail at water crossings that formerly would be marked with blazes or signs. The trail beds may be well beaten down but the lack of any brush trimming is starting to really obscure the wilderness area trails especially where there are firs and sunlight (like along streambeds).