topo map survey - Need your input

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1. Do you carry a topo map in your pocket, in your pack or leave it back in your vehicle? (this should be an excellent topo, not something designed to plan hikes)
Yes. I generally carry one in my pack. I carry it only as a back-up for my phone and for calculating mileage for possible routes on-trial (and I use it extensively for that at home/in the car).
2. For a large, double sided map, please state your preference for its folded size and reasons: 4" x 7" 4.25" x 9.25" or 3.75" x 5"
No preference among those 3.
3. What would your ideal paper type?
I really like the Tyveck AMC maps. I've destroyed all my paper maps eventually.
4. Your ideal guidebook size would be small 5"x7" or larger 5.5"x8.5" and explain.
I don't hike with a guidebook, but I like the size of the Cohos trail guide, but I don't have the dimensions of hand.

1. Do you carry a topo map in your pocket, in your pack or leave it back in your vehicle?
I usually carry an 8x11 folded 6 ways in my pocket, usually printed off an online mapping program and annotated with goals of that hike - that way no edge issues and I can use a scale appropriate to the hike

2. For a large, double sided map, please state your preference for its folded size and reasons:
I prefer single sided as each side lasts longer, and printing costs more than paper

Heavy acid-free, I think the plastic maps wear out at folds about as fast as paper ones and cost a lot more

4. Your ideal guidebook size would be small 5"x7" or larger 5.5"x8.5" and explain.
I don't usually carry a guidebook, large format more convenient at home :)

1. Do you carry a topo map in your pocket, in your pack or leave it back in your vehicle? Carry in my pocket. I photocopy the section I will be hiking from the AMC maps and then trim it down to just the relevant (primary and bail out) trails. I then put it in a sandwich-sized ziplock bag.

2. For a large, double sided map, please state your preference for its folded size and reasons: 4" x 7" 4.25" x 9.25" or 3.75" x 5". Guess the 4X7 would be closest to what I do now.

3. What would your ideal paper type? Waterproof and tearproof.

4. Your ideal guidebook size would be small 5"x7" or larger 5.5"x8.5" and explain. Since I don't carry with me on the trail the larger the better because I will be using it at home.

1. Do you carry a topo map in your pocket, in your pack or leave it back in your vehicle? (this should be an excellent topo, not something designed to plan hikes)

shouldn't I plan hikes with an excellent topo too? Just started taking pictures of guide book pages for reference but the batteries never died on my may before. Not carrying chargers as the idea is to carry less weight, not more. Usually in my pack in a zip-loc sandwich bag.

2. For a large, double sided map, please state your preference for its folded size and reasons: 4" x 7" 4.25" x 9.25" or 3.75" x 5"

I'm going to refold it to fit a sandwich bag. I don't want it so big it's hard to read in a heavy wind driven rain, a sandwich bag seems to be a good size for showing the area of the hike & cup in my hands to keep it from blowing)

3. What would your ideal paper type? What the AMC maps are made of is pretty good, durable but light. My 12th edition of the ADK High Peaks may has a couple of holes where it's folded.

Doesn't matter, won't pack the guide book, it's a reference and I'll take pictures of that. BTW, my initials? MAP

Map starts in hip belt pocket (Osprey pack), if I'm referring to it alot it'll wind up in a front hip pocket folded to show the area of interest.

Needs to fold down small enough to fit in the pockets... current AMC maps are verging on too big. Double-sided means I'm going to waste time figuring out which side I want to look at (more of an issue at home than on the trail)

Waterproof & heavy enough. Current AMC maps seem good.

In places where I don't have commercial Tyvek(ish) maps, I'll print out the relevant section but the map usually doesn't last a full day. Even if it's not raining I tend to sweat things up.

Guidebook stays home. I used to xerox pages but have fallen out of the habit. I will print out trip detail from the AMC WMG online - this is worth a thread of its own, since the idea showed great promise when they started but hasn't improved much. (Why do they show incremental elevation but not actual? Why no trailhead elevation on the PDF? Why can't I remove the huge blocks of text describing the trail end-to-end when I'm only walking a mile of it? Why can't I type in my own notes?) These printouts get folded into a hip pocket (and are only good for one trip).

ETA: Thanks for asking!

I'm involved with the production of what is hoped will be a state of the art, topo map by a large organization.

Specs: map will be double sided, 24"x 37", and either tear/water resistant, Tyvek, or something similar.
VFTT has a lot of map users and experts and would like hiker feedback:

Please share your feedback here, or PM me if you'd prefer.

Thanks,
Alan

1. In my pack most of the time and in my pocket when being referred to frequently. Always with me and always paper.

2. Probably 4.25x9.25

3. Tyvek

4. Guidebook size does not matter to me. It stays home. It needs to fit my current bookshelf. A durable cover is nice though as it often travels with me in the car, in bags, on the floor, under a banana, etc. it should take a beating.

1. Do you carry a topo map in your pocket, in your pack or leave it back in your vehicle?
I carry one in the pack, in its own ziploc (sandwich or quart size).
In the pack, it's custom folded to fit in the ziploc and show the area of travel (which may encompass both sides of the last fold), so published size is not important. If planning ahead, I've also photocopied a section of map, perhaps enlarging it, so no custom folding is needed.
Tyvek is best.
If planning ahead, I photocopy relevant pages for carrying in the field. If I didn't plan ahead or am hiking plan B, I'll copy the important parts of the text (junctions, distances, viewpoints, tricky spots) onto a single sheet. The book stays at home or in the car.

1. Do you carry a topo map in your pocket, in your pack or leave it back in your vehicle? (this should be an excellent topo, not something designed to plan hikes) 2. For a large, double sided map, please state your preference for its folded size and reasons: 4" x 7" 4.25" x 9.25" or 3.75" x 5" 3. What would your ideal paper type? 4. Your ideal guidebook size would be small 5"x7" or larger 5.5"x8.5" and explain. Please share your feedback here, or PM me if you'd prefer. Thanks, Alan

1. In my pocket
2. I suggest you look at the fold size of the New York New Jersey trail conference maps. They are about 3" x 7.5". I typically then take that map and fold it half and put it in my pocket. I will open the map up refold it along the fold lines to expose the area that I want to see and then fold down to the same size that I previously mentioned. Their maps are Tyvek and it works well this way and map does not deteriorate too much until after about 4 or 5 years of heavy use. They are still usable after that time but some of the print on the folds is not visible
2b. If the map is paper I will make a copy of it and then fold that copy so it fits into a 1 quart Ziploc bag and then I take the Ziploc bag and folded in three parallel to the zipper. I might also bring the map in which case I fold it and put it into a Ziploc bag and keep that as back up
3. Tyvek
4. I don't bring the guidebook so any size is fine