Chakra Alignment in Vermont

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JustBob

Reaction score
In stark contrast to my solo 11-peaks-in-5-days Finestkind week in Maine, my S.O. and I took five days over two weeks to climb 5 peaks in Vermont. We made two trips there, camping at Little River State Park in Waterbury. Nice spot, with hot showers (note: the newest/best showers are next to the Volunteer site in the 'A' area, second-best are in the 'B' area, worst are in the 'A' area near the entrance).

Trails were generally in very good shape; not a lot to report.

One day we drove to VT from Southern NH and did Killington via the Bucklin and Long Trails. Mostly mellow, a steep bit at the top. Crowded with people coming up the gondola.

We planned to do Abraham and Ellen out-and-back via the Long Trail from Lincoln Gap, but we slept in, made up for it by having a leisurely breakfast, ran out of time and turned back after visiting the plane wreck just past the Abraham summit. Bunch of kids there. One of them said 'This makes me sad.' Yeah.

I did Mansfield solo via the Long Trail. No PUDs on that route at all. Steep from the parking lot to the top where there is some very cool scrambling. Weather was great with long views. Chatted with the sunbathing caretaker.

We did Ellen via the Jerusalem Trail. Very sweet, literally and figuratively, as the lower part of the trail passes through an extensive sugarbush. Bit clouded in on the summit, where we ran into a couple of workers using brush saws to clear out the ski trail. Someone had knocked down the tiny little cairn marking the summit; I put it back. I think going up the LT to Abraham, then Ellen, then out Jerusalem would be very nice.

Last day, up the Monroe Trail to finish on Camel's Hump in the fog and wind. Dunno if that thermometer on the sign at the Monroe/LT junction is right, but it said 45 degrees and felt like it. In contrast to the Mansfield caretaker, the Camel's Hump caretaker was hunkered down in the lee of a boulder wearing, as she said 'a lot of clothes'. Good fun.

We also checked out Myer's Bagels in Burlington. Excellent. South End Kitchen in Burlington was also quite good, as was Blue Stone Pizza in Waterbury. Also was fun to browse the deep inventory of the Gear Exchange in Burlington.

Most excellent couple of weeks.

Almost forgot. There is beer in Vermont. Lots of it.