Washington via Nelson Crag Trail 8/18

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grey J

VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
I have wanted to ascend this trail for many years having been up just about every other route except Huntington Ravine Trail. I decided to shortcut the Old Jackson Rd segment and parked at the 2 mile post on the Auto Rd. Nelson Crag Trail gets right after it and climbs steeply gaining 1700 feet of elevation in just 1.1 miles before breaking out in the open on a level rocky shoulder of Chandler Ridge. The trail could use some brushing out in this section and does not appear to be heavily traveled. I met only 2 other hikers going up and 2 going down. 007 Big Cairns on shoulder.jpg

It was a clear day but windy out in the open. Smith and Dickerman describe this trail as "steep, rough, and relentless" and they are right on target. At one point they wrote "the trail struggles up steep rocky terrain" and I'm thinking, if the trail struggles, I will probably struggle too. I did. Some pretty challenging scrambles and then finally Nelson Crag. By then the fog rolled in and visibility was down to one cairn. I detoured slightly to the right and hit Agiocochook Crag then up and over Ball Crag, crossed the Cog in dense fog and hit the summit. Discretion being the better part of valor, I walked the 6 miles down the Auto Rd back to the car. It was 2 pm and I just didn't think my knees could handle the descent on Nelson Crag Trail. 023 Ghost Train.jpg

Last edited: