Umbagog: water, other q's

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jniehof

Reaction score
Planning a few days on Umbagog, renting a canoe from the campground and getting a remote site. Anybody else spent time up there? The information on the NHSP website is a bit thin. Was wondering how far in advance to call for a multi-day canoe rental (or if it's even possible to call ahead and reserve), how much a tow out to the sites would be (ballpark), and if it's reasonable to plan on using the lake for drinking water (after usual filtering/treatment).

Thanks.

Can't comment on everything but I have filtered out of the lake and had no issues. I've stayed at sites 23 and 4, both were great.

We had our own boat both times I have stayed there. Some sites can be quite a ways from the state park building and docks. So depending on the site, you might be in for significant paddling and possibly choppy water if it is windy. If I recall, the state park has a pontoon boat that they can bring you out on and bring you back in on that I heard was $10. I'm guessing that is per trip.

Our first trip there, it was actually shorter for us to come in from the boat landing on the Androscoggin River.

Haven't been in years (sadly), but we always stayed at one of the remote sites farthest from the main campground. Always took the pontoon ride, and from what I recall, the farther out your site is, the more the ride costs. Which makes sense, because some of those sites are a haul and they need to cover the driver's time and the gas. (was totally worth it, imo, because we always stayed a while took a ton of stuff)

It's worth spending some time with a map. If you are going to be staying farther North, you may be able to pick up your boat and drive to a closer put-in site as sdways suggests. Do keep in mind that since Umbagog is relatively shallow, it gets very choppy very quickly. And from what I remember there was pretty much always a good chop going by afternoon.

We filtered lake water, no problems.

Loved it. Miss it.

I'd book the boat as soon as you're certain of your schedule. You may also wish to book a shuttle. There are good put-ins on the Magaloway River in Wilson Mills and on the Androscoggin just north of Errol.

The boat rental in Errol (near the dam) was very helpful. We liked a campsite, #27 it might have been, near the outlet from the Magaloway River. At the time there was an eagles' nest and roost across the channel from that campsite but I understand the tree finally fell down and the eagles rebuilt their nest elsewhere.

NFCT map 8 shows the approximate location of the campsites but NH Div. of Parks and Recreation has better detail and instructions as to how to make reservations. We found that on-line reservations may not match what might be available by calling. The NFCT map shows a good perspective of the rivers and the lake.

I suggest searching VFTT archives for some reports on Umbagog paddle camping.

What great lake and campground. Some of the remote sites are quite a paddle about 7 miles if I remember correctly. They will hall all your stuff out there on their pontoon boat. As mentioned it is a shallow lake 60' or so at its deepest part so it does tend to get choppy with some wind. Very little motor boat traffic. Also as mentioned call to reserve,the online booking is not always accurate. Don't forget to visit L.L. Cote great place to browse. Lots and lots of moose at night in the mud pits on the sides of 16. I was up there last month and saw 2 dozen moose and 5 red fox.

Thanks all! This has been really helpful for something which I haven't been planning to the hilt as much as I usually do...

Stan, was your boat rental place Northern Waters? I booked a site right at the Androscoggin/Magalloway confluence, so the idea of renting from them and putting in at the Androscoggin is very tempting. (I understand I still need to check in at the south end of the lake.)

Also picked up the NFCT map 8; other map suggestions?

We did a trip up there this spring and it was great! We used both filtered and treated water from the lake without issue. We stayed at R31 I believe and it was great. I didn't plan it, but I know the reservation was made a while in advance, but I think that was just for planning sake. I imagine past Labor Day you won't have a ton of competition. We rented canoes from Northern Waters and paddled down the Magalloway (we did 3 days/2 nights). You could put in at the Andro or the Umbagog NWR and paddle to the lake, all flat water. Have fun!

Yes, we booked through Northern Waters. We had one boat but rented a second; they shuttled both boats to Wilson Mills after we spotted a car on the Androscoggin. I don't remember whether there was a charge or if I gave the driver a tip ... whatever it was it was worth it.

We did not have to check in at the State Park but stopped there just to pick up whatever information we could get. We had made our reservations by phone, I think the reason some sites were not in the computer reservation system was that they weren't available either due to nesting loons or the possibility of a nest site and opened up, at least by phone, when the loons were no longer an issue. I have learned that this practice is not uncommon (Baxter Park's Kidney Pond camp OJI being another example) and we've noticed it a couple places out west, too. It is probably too late in the season for the loons to be a factor so if you can't find what you want on-line, try calling.

The Wildlife Refuge HQ on rt. 16 is worth visiting, too but they seemed to keep strange hours. Once during working hours the building was locked, another time no one was there but the door was open and we could pick up literature and maps. In any case, if you're on the Magalloway, it is a good place to put-in for a break.

Eagle's nest was gone as of earlier this year (we had heard that the nest has been vacant for some time now). Water levels were also very high which made for additional adventures via canoe. Not sure what the current water levels are but would suspect they are less given the time of year.