Lodgings Around Conway or Lincoln?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MattC

Reaction score
Ulster County, NY Avatar: Chapel Pond From Giant M
So, I have 10 peaks left of the NH 48 and would like to complete those climbs in 2 or 3 trips over the next year or so. I was just in the Whites a couple weeks ago and may go again in a couple/few more weeks. Most of the peaks left are in the southern areas, so I'm looking for thoughts on cheapish lodgings around the 2 ends of the Kanc. I like a shower and know most the campgrounds don't have 'em (I know Jigger Johnson does, so that may be an option). For indoor accommodations, I don't need too much in the way of amenities-think motels or cabins. A kitchenette is nice or at least a fridge and microwave. Basically a clean place to sleep, a shower and a way to throw together a quick bite to eat before and/or after hiking. I have stayed at Shapleigh Lodge so I know all about that and may stay there again. Also stayed once at JOe Dodge Lodge. But I'm interested in stuff closer to the trailheads in question. The one time I stayed in Lincoln it was the (I think) Riverbank Motel or some such.

I may stay in or around Lincoln (or Woodstock) again sometime as I want to climb Lafayette/Lincoln, Moosilauke and Owls Head. For the Hancocks and Whiteface/Passaconaway it might make sense to stay closer to the Conway end of the Kanc. The other two peaks I "need" are Carrigain and Carter Dome, for which I'd maybe just stay a night or two at one of the AMC places.

Thoughts?

If you don't mind a roommate (or several), check out the White Mountains Hostel in Conway.

I stayed there last fall, and it was clean, has shower/kitchen facilities and -- best of all -- was cheap! (Around $25-$30, IIRC, and they even had WiFi...)

Conway is a zoo. But it does have a lot of shops, restaurants, outfitters, etc., if you need that kind of stuff.

Conway is a zoo. But it does have a lot of shops, restaurants, outfitters, etc., if you need that kind of stuff.

Yeah, so I've heard. I was only kind of through Conway a time or 2 or 3 my first few trips to the Whites back in '06-'07. I never really experienced it at the worst I guess. So traffic can often be really annoying? Like enough to delay you? Tom, as a point of comparison that we both know well, how does it compare to New Paltz? Having lived there for years (and still frequently going there) I experienced the traffic from one end of 299 to the other many times. But it was seldom a major delay since it's not that long a stretch of road, more of just a headache. That about how Conway stacks up?

BTW, I will likely also research that campground in Lincoln.

Last edited:

I believe to be more precise, North Conway is a zoo. The White Mountain Hostel is close enough to make a quick trip to EMS or Bean but far enough away and on not 16/302 so it doesn't feel that bad. Another White Mountain Recommendation. :D

Starting now until mid October, there are many times where the traffic is backed up going through North Conway village for 4 or 5 miles.

Wow, thanks for the heads up guys. It sounds like getting to the Ferncroft area for Whiteface/Passaconaway or getting to the Kanc wouldn't be as much an issue, but getting to anywhere else would. So if I was to head up to say Carter Dome from there, I'd want to get up at stupid o'clock in the morning and get through North Conway before or around sunrise if possible.

There are alternates on the west and east of 16/302. They don't bypass the entire area but most of it. I've found that it's mostly shoppers not hikers and the breakfast crowd that bogs everything down. Most of the year, on the road by 8:00 works. Foliage season and winter when the slopes open at 8:00, I'd try for getting out before 7:30. (& in winter, you normally want an earlier start to take advantage of the sunlight any way.)

BTW, North Conway is rural compared to driving through Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg, TN just in case anyone has Clingman's Dome and the South over 6,000 list in mind for "what's next". (They have one easy to find bypass)

There are alternates on the west and east of 16/302. They don't bypass the entire area but most of it. I've found that it's mostly shoppers not hikers and the breakfast crowd that bogs everything down. Most of the year, on the road by 8:00 works. Foliage season and winter when the slopes open at 8:00, I'd try for getting out before 7:30. (& in winter, you normally want an earlier start to take advantage of the sunlight any way.)

Thanks. I know about Bear Notch Rd. and would likely go that way if I wanted to hike Carrigain.

If I was staying at the White Mountain Hostel and planning on hiking Carrigain from Sawyer River Road, I'd take West Side Road to 302 Vs. going back on the Kanc and then picking up Bear Notch.

If I was staying at the White Mountain Hostel and planning on hiking Carrigain from Sawyer River Road, I'd take West Side Road to 302 Vs. going back on the Kanc and then picking up Bear Notch.

Ah, yes, thanks. Didn't even notice that road. All the time I spend studying the trails and terrain on maps, sometimes I forget to look carefully at roads!

Agreed....Absolutely a Zoo. Do not waste your time in Conway. Most of the out of State dollars spent from New Yorkers and the like are only sewed and never spent outside NH anyhow.