Suggested Hikes in Waterville Valley

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amy

Reaction score
I plan to stay in the Waterville Valley this weekend, and would welcome suggested hikes. I will be there for 1 and 2 half days. The full day will be the Tripyramids. I'm looking for a 3-5 hour hike for the other days. I'm pretty much at book time (faster up and slower down, but it evens out).

I'm not committed to doing "the 48" but I already have 18 (20 with the Tripyramids) so I may as well keep going, right? If I'm going to do Mt. Tecumseh, is it better from the ski area or starting at Tripoli Road? Is parking allowed at the ski area?

Thanks for any advice, and I'm jealous of all of you that get up there more than twice a year!

Looks like Saturday will be a washout - but Sunday should be beautiful! If hiking the Tris on Sunday, you should strongly consider avoiding the North Slide since it will likely still be wet (Scaur ridge trail provides a handy detour).

Rainy days are good for waterfalls. Find a description of the Flume Brook trail. On my map it looks like it's beside the stream but not too close (little risk of flooding) and ends at a place called "the flume" which is always promising.

Thanks nartreb. My main reason for wanting to do the Tripyramids is to do the North Slide, so if it's too wet I'll scrap that plan and save that for a sunny day.

A follow up question is about camping. I'd like to stay at either the Osceola Vista or the Waterville campground, but they apparently don't take reservations and it's first come first serve. I probably won't be getting to the campsite until dinner time. What is the likelihood of having there be open spaces on a Sunday night?

Sandwich Mt Trail (starts on Route 49) up to Noon Peak 2976' and Jennings Peak 3440' might work within that time frame. Very nice views to the north from Noon Peak after just a mile and a half. It is a bit further and will take a little longer to go all the way up to Sandwich Dome but its worth the effort if you have the time. I saw a moose at the Jennings Peak spur junction a couple of weeks ago. 047 N,M,S Tripyramid, W,E Sleeper.jpg This was taken from Noon Peak and might be of interest to you since it shows the Tripyramids N/M/S and the Sleepers W/E left to right. (assuming I loaded the correct photo)

Last edited:
I meant to say that I liked the Tripoli Rd approach to Tecumseh better than the ski area route and also saw a moose on that trail back a few years ago. Those are the only 2 times I've seen moose on my NH hikes.

East Pond, Little East Pond loop might be worth looking at for a half-day, especially if it's raining. Nice, easy hike, ponds are pretty, and with low cloud cover you won't miss any views anyway.

We've camped a few times at Russell Pond Campground (on the far other end of Tripoli Rd., off Exit 31 on rte. 93). It's also first come first served, but we've never had a problem. In fact, we have the bad habit of getting in there too early, before people have packed up and left all the good spots open.....

re camping, I would not be at all worried on a Sunday night unless there's a holiday on Monday. Right now is a slow period: school has started for most people, and it's still too early for leaf-peepers. I was going to suggest Russell Pond as a back-up, but you won't need it.

Sandwich Dome and Jennings peak is a good idea - the Sandwich Mtn trail also has views along the ledges at Noon Peak (with a couple spots where you want to pay attention in slippery conditions) and you can make a loop with the Drakes' Brook trail.
there's also a side trail to Fletcher Cascades, worth a visit after a heavy rain (but disappointing on dry days). I saved time by rock-hopping over Drakes' Brook at about the 1800' contour where the terrain is gentle and the cascade spur trail is very close to the DB trail, but that was on a dry day.

Last edited:
I like the trail up Tecumseh from the ski area. It starts off nicer and gradual, then you come to a really nice stream crossing that my dog loves! From there its a steady climb up to the ridge, then a gradual climb to the summit loop. I always take the left hand trail from here, I believe it actually the Sosman trail, but I like it. Some poeple descend the ski slopes, but so far this year they have not been mowed yet and my dog doesnt need 1000 ticks on him:eek: Parking is at the ski lot, the trail sign can be hard to spot this time of year. Basically you drive up and park at the last lot before the turn at the top takes you to the base lodge. Park at the end of the lot, cross the street and the trailheads right there. The route takes me and my dog 4hrs or less. Another cool place in the valley is Goodrich Rock. It sbeen awile but I believe its up the Livermore trail, its massive and there used to be a ladder to climb up to the top of it.

Some poeple descend the ski slopes, but so far this year they have not been mowed yet and my dog doesnt need 1000 ticks on him:eek:

A few notes:

- There is a gravel road that weaves down the ski trails (from the top of the quad to maintenance garage at the bottom), so one can avoid tall grass in season.
- Mowing started late last month and there are multiple routes mowed top to bottom now.
- Knock on wood, I've never had any ticks from hiking the ski trails at Waterville Valley ski area.

I vote for Tecumseh via the Tripoli Rd approach. (I have done it both ways..)

Nice trail, isolated, harder than you think for a short route. A good workout, you get a 4000 footer in but the round trip is only something like 7 miles.

Full disclosure, this is one of my "adoptees" so I have special fondness. :)

--Carla

I vote for Tecumseh via the Tripoli Rd approach. (I have done it both ways..)

Nice trail, isolated, harder than you think for a short route. A good workout, you get a 4000 footer in but the round trip is only something like 7 miles.

Full disclosure, this is one of my "adoptees" so I have special fondness. :)

--Carla

Ive had a small crush on Tecumseh this year and when Im short on time I do it. I always go in from the ski area, I keep hearing its nice from Tripoli, I think Ill try that next. Although I thought the milage was 2.5 from both sides?

It is 3.1 miles to the summit going in from Tripoli Rd, with the starting elevation and the elevation gain about the same as from the ski area. Carla, thanks for your trail work.

It is 3.1 miles to the summit going in from Tripoli Rd, with the starting elevation and the elevation gain about the same as from the ski area. Carla, thanks for your trail work.

The trailhead elevation on the Tripoli side is higher, but on the other hand you have to reclimb West Tecumseh on the way back.

The trailhead elevation on the Tripoli side is higher, but on the other hand you have to reclimb West Tecumseh on the way back.

True regarding W Tecumseh, but I consider that a bonus. I'm a little confused about your statement regarding trailhead elevation though. My AMC Guide has the Tripoli Rd trailhead at 1820' and the ski area trailhead at 1840'.

True regarding W Tecumseh, but I consider that a bonus. I'm a little confused about your statement regarding trailhead elevation though. My AMC Guide has the Tripoli Rd trailhead at 1820' and the ski area trailhead at 1840'.

29th Edition lists the Tripoli Road trailhead as 1,880 feet.

Fair enough. I have the 28th edition so the new edition verifies your statement as technically correct. I believe I originally said that the starting elevations are "about the same."
Whether its 1820' vs 1840' in the old edition, or 1880' vs 1840' in the new, they all sound "about the same" to me. 40' feet higher is a scant advantage for the trailhead and climbing another 200'? up West Tecumseh on the return is a small price to pay. I have nothing against the ski area approach. Its good to have choices.

climbing another 200'? up West Tecumseh on the return is a small price to pay.

I think it's important to note...I ran into someone up there a few weeks ago who ascended from Tripoli and was going to descend the ski area because he was caught by surprise by the reclimbing he'd need to do to get back up West Tecumseh. Needless to say, after explaining how much longer and more vertical the roadwalk would be to get back to his vehicle, he eventually went back over West Tecumseh.

My WMG ( I think its 29th) states 2.6 miles from Tripoli rd..

Having done both multiple times, I prefer the backside. The trails have a very different feel. The front side is a highway and the mile or some from the view to the split is a relentless slog. The backside is much more interesting IMO. Doing it as a loop is nice though (or a walk through if you have 2 cars).