Experienced Hiker Looking for a New Mtn Range (i.e. Catskill advice, please)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blacknblue

Reaction score
Having lived most of my 37 years around the VT/NH border, I've hiked extensively in the Whites and Greens, with a fair amount in the ADKs and Maine (as well as a four-year stint in Colorado). Now I live in Lancaster, Pennsylvania, and need some decent mountains closer to home. The Catskills are about four hours away, but I have no experience with them. I just bought the Nat'l Geographic Trails Illustrated map at EMS and have been checking it out. Little help?

I'm planning on taking my first excursion at the end of September. I'll have one full day and one half day to hike. Looking for something in the 12-18 mile range, and another in the 6-8 mile range. Was hoping for hikes in different parts of the area, just for getting to explore more territory. I was looking at Slide-Cornell-Wittenberg (and maybe Panther) for the longer day, and maybe something in the Kaaterskill or Black Dome area for the shorter day.

Any advice about this particular excursion, or about adventuring in the Catskills in general?

In general, Catskill trails are fairly rugged compared to other major ranges in the Northeast. The footing is slippery compared to the ADKs, (the rocks themselves, not any water or mud), and there are limited views. There are 2 4Ks, and 33 other 3500'+ peaks. Some are bushwhacks, and even after hosting thousands of hikers, have few or no established herd paths.

I commented at length on your CWSP plan in the other thread.

The 3 blackheads can be done in a day, being only 7-8 miles, but you have to climb 3 3900' peaks, so the elevation adds up.

You can do Hunter (+Rusk), Leavitt, aka SW Hunter, and add on Westkill if you are still not tired for a big 'loop' from Spruceton, with a very short road walk.

You could do some of the Eastern Devil's Path, with some back tracking, and pick up 3-4 peaks. This is some of the most rugged and steep parts of the Catskills.

Have fun, and let us know via PM if you want more details!

There are another 67 peaks that comprise the Catskill 100, all but four of which are 3k footers. You can link some of the 3500 peaks with some of the smaller ones to make some very ambitious day hikes.

Having lived most of my 37 years around the VT/NH border, I've hiked extensively in the Whites and Greens, with a fair amount in the ADKs and Maine (as well as a four-year stint in Colorado). Now I live in Lancaster, Pennsylvania, and need some decent mountains closer to home. The Catskills are about four hours away, but I have no experience with them. I just bought the Nat'l Geographic Trails Illustrated map at EMS and have been checking it out. Little help?

You might also want to look southwest to W VA and the Shenandoahs, which are probably closer to you than the Catskills. There's some 4K's in WV and plenty of good hiking in SNP. You may get a lot more info about those areas, especially SNP, on Whiteblaze than here, though doubtless there are people here with plenty of experience down that way. I bet there's lot of good hiking a couple hours west in PA's Alleghenies, too, and nearby in the Poconos.

You should check out the Pocono areas and the areas around the Delaware Water Gap in NJ, such as places in and around the A.T. and High Point. Lots of nice dayhikes and waterfalls and firetowers... And then also check out the Shawangunks in NJ (just south of the catskills).

Of course, not saying that you shouldn't go to the Catskills, just that there are nice places around PA/NJ as well...

Jay

Thanks for the input, everyone.

What about parking in the Catskills? I know in the Whites, there are several trailheads that require a fee/pass. Do I need to worry about fees/passes? What about vandalism? Sleeping overnight in a vehicle?

Most of the Catskill trailhead parking is free with the exception of the state parks and campgrounds which collect a fee in-season. Off season those lots may or may not be open (e.g., Woodland Valley is usually open, but North-South Lake closes for the winter and you have to park outside of the gates). Elsewhere, the usual roadside rules apply; e.g., if part of your car is not completely off of the road, you will get a ticket, no parking in snowplow turnarounds during the snow season, etc.

You might also be able to get an "Empire Pass" which covers parking at most state parks and campgrounds:
http://nysparks.com/admission/empire-passport/

I am not sure if it is available to non-residents and it costs a lot more than a full year WMNF pass.

Last edited:
I'll be headed up to the Catskills on Friday. Planning on hitting Blackhead, Black Dome, and Thomas Cole. Then, on Saturday, doing Slide, Cornell, and Wittenberg, with a possible extension to Panther if I have the energy. We'll see how the legs fare; I'm a bit out of good hiking shape.

Thanks for the help. I'll try to include a trip report next week. Looking forward to some new mountains!

My advice in the Catskills is "bring a bike" (or a second car of course) if you plan to do any day-long hike. WHP can then be added to BH-BD-TC, you can do the Western and Eastern Devil's path as two day hikes. Another good one is Basalm-Eagle-Big indian-Fir. Two other good hikes that don't need a bike/car are the "neversink loop" (Friday, Basalm cap, Lone, Rocky, Table, Peekamoose) and the "beaver kill rd. loop" (Double top, Graham and Basalm Lake).

Last edited:
Should be a nice weekend, weather wise. The bike is always a good idea, I've haven't had any issues with locking a bike in the woods with a simply cable lock... Downhill at the end is nice :)

Jay

My situation not 2 far off from yours. Born n bred in western MA not far from Brattleboro VT. Have been in the Whites and all over VT since 1990. I live in NY about hour 30 southe east of the Catskills.

I started hiking Catskills last winter on Giant Ledge and Panther Mt. That was a good one to start with. Gr8 views. October I hiked Balsam Lake Mt from the end of Beaver Kill Rd. Fire tower on the summitt and views are nice....360 degrees also.

The area I've come to love is that of Platte Clove. Really rough but beautiful terrain with lots of waterfalls....big and small. PM me or email me and I'll send you some pics. I'm just getting familiar with the Catskills.

If you fish, the area is gr8! Especially fly fishing. Esophus, east branch Delaware, Pecacton, and Ashokan I've been able to hit.