Unknown Pond, The Horn, The Bulge, and Mt Cabot - 9/7/2014

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JCarter

Reaction score
Trail Conditions: Loop from Unknown Pond trailhead on York Pond Rd to Bunnell Notch Trailhead.

Unknown Pond Trail: Many muddy areas, but most can be easily navigated. Managed to keep my feet dry. Most bridges and bog bridges are collapsed or close to it (I think one was in decent enough shape). Multiple blowdowns, all of which have muddy eroded herd paths around them. One in particular blocks a set of rock steps, and the herd path in a mess. Lush vegetation (i.e., carwash) for much of the trail until shortly before Unknown Pond. Many places where the trail has migrated downhill and the treadway is unstable. First major stream crossing is easy to navigate, once you decide that the trail indeed crosses the stream.

Kilkenny Ridge Trail: Signage at KRT/UPT junction is slightly confusing, since the maps suggest these 2 trail cross at right angles. In reality, they share a treadway for a hundred yards, so there are really 2 intersection. When the signs have 4 arrows, and there are 3 trails leading away it's a little confusing. The ridiculous number of herd paths in the area make it tougher. Once on the KRT, it is in fine shape. Nice grades (except the last 1/4 mi to Cabot), good treadway, easy to follow. A couple of blowdowns, only 2 large ones that required leaving the trail to navigate.

Leaving Cabot Cabin towards Bunnell Notch, the sign calls the trail the Mt Cabot Trail. This section appears to have both names, but only one on the sign. Between the summit and Cabot Cabin, there is a trail junction marked only by a cairn. Presumably this is the side trail for the spring, but the sign was not in evidence.

Bunnell Notch Trail: Much nicer than UPT. Some muddy sections, but trail hardening has been done to alleviate the problems. Nice treadway most of the way, incredibly easy to follow. Final mile or so to York Pond Trail is an old road, very smooth treadway, but lots of vegetation, would be a carwash in wet conditions.

Special Equipment: none.

Comments: Lovely day for a hike, but did not see many people: a group was preparing to go to The Horn when I took off, never saw them again. Saw no one until I reached the summit area on Cabot, and ran into 4 or 5 grouse, 2 women and a boy. Saw a couple headed toward Cabot on the KRT as I was descending, then passed one person on the way out on the Bunnell Notch Trail.

The alleged rain barrel at Cabot Cabin is not attached to anything that might cause rain to go into it, so even though it poured on Saturday, was completely dry.