looking for shuttle help for Presi-traverse w/ dog

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TinCanFury

Reaction score
so the AMC, god bless them, hates dogs, so their shuttle service is out of the question.

My friend from Slovenia who is visiting our fine New England area, and I are trying to plan to do the Presi traverse. So I'm looking for some help in being able to park my car at one end and get a ride either at the start or after we complete.

Does anyone know anyone that provides help transporting hikers in that area that I could inquire as to their service? Or anyone in that area that might be able to help us out?

thanks!

so the AMC, god bless them, hates dogs, so their shuttle service is out of the question.

My friend from Slovenia who is visiting our fine New England area, and I are trying to plan to do the Presi traverse. So I'm looking for some help in being able to park my car at one end and get a ride either at the start or after we complete.

Does anyone know anyone that provides help transporting hikers in that area that I could inquire as to their service? Or anyone in that area that might be able to help us out?

thanks!

I feel your pain, me and my dog were politely asked to leave the Highland Center.;) Although they serve food, so I kind of get that. I cannot see why a dog cannot ride the shuttle though. Just for the record, the east in general is not dog friendly. Look at apartment ads and find one that allows dogs. In CO, me and my dog were never turned away from any apartment, heck even hotels let my dog in.

Avoiding the editorial commentary, this firm is based in the Berlin area and is advertised as Dog friendly. http://www.trailangelshikerservices.com/

Given the time of year the logistics of the hike are difficult as if you spot a car at the end of the hike, you need to be able to get to the trailhead in the AM with no car. If you drive to the trailhead in the morning its hard to schedule a shuttle back in the evening. Ideally the best option is to have the shuttle meet you at Highland center in the early AM and drive you to Appalachia. This would have to be real early as you need to be hiking by 6 AM. I have done that for folks in the past but due to my work schedule and weekend activities, I usually cant commit until one or two days before.

Of course you and your friend can do a key swap hike and then you dont need a shuttle ;)

I feel your pain, me and my dog were politely asked to leave the Highland Center.;) Although they serve food, so I kind of get that. I cannot see why a dog cannot ride the shuttle though. Just for the record, the east in general is not dog friendly. Look at apartment ads and find one that allows dogs. In CO, me and my dog were never turned away from any apartment, heck even hotels let my dog in.

Yea, it's not soo bad out here. I mean I live in Boston with my dog in an apartment, and I've stayed in cheap motels around here with minimal dog fee. But the AMC is notoriously bad about it, but they love kids! (kids = big $$$). What's sad is when others so-called "service dogs" cause chaos in a hut, while my dog would lay quietly on the floor and not bother anyone. But that's their policy, and it extends to their shuttle van. The RMC is dog friendly though, so I choose to support them, but they don't have a shuttle service.

Avoiding the editorial commentary, this firm is based in the Berlin area and is advertised as Dog friendly. http://www.trailangelshikerservices.com/

Given the time of year the logistics of the hike are difficult as if you spot a car at the end of the hike, you need to be able to get to the trailhead in the AM with no car. If you drive to the trailhead in the morning its hard to schedule a shuttle back in the evening. Ideally the best option is to have the shuttle meet you at Highland center in the early AM and drive you to Appalachia. This would have to be real early as you need to be hiking by 6 AM. I have done that for folks in the past but due to my work schedule and weekend activities, I usually cant commit until one or two days before.

Of course you and your friend can do a key swap hike and then you dont need a shuttle ;)

Thanks! I'll get in touch with the Trail Angels.

We're doing it over three days, so the timing isn't as much of a concern. We'd be looking to park the car at the southern end Friday morning, then get a ride to the Northern end, or we'd park at our start at the North and be looking for a ride Sunday evening back to our car.

As one who often is hiking solo or sharing one car between hikers, the link is much appreciated Peakbagger!

It sounds like Trail Angels is a good possibility. If for some reason that didn't work, one other less than ideal possibility would be that since there are two of you plus the dog, one person could stay with the dog at either end while the other person did the shuttle. For instance leave one person and the dog at the beginning, drive to Highland center. Take the shuttle back.