worth a new "Best restaurant for post-hike dinner in Whites" thread ?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chip

Reaction score
I just noticed that the original one was started 5 years ago (Thanks TwinMom+1 !). I was going to go through the responses, make a list and make a survey, but enough has changed where that probably doesn't make sense.
Also, I'd like a survey of best "Immediately After Hiking" dining and getting a drink or 2, not a "You Should Probably Shower and Shave First" dining.
If everyone listed their favorite in the towns they are more familiar with, we could compile a relevant survey.
So I'd say for us that's Rosa Flamingo's (downstairs) in Bethlehem, Schilling Beer Company in Littleton and Dutch Treat in Franconia.

Dutch Treat in Franconia +1. Wicked cold beers, great pizza, good specials every night, pool table, and sports on TV. Only problem is, the owner's a Yankee fan.

Schilling's is great. The setting is lovely, overlooking the Ammonoosuc River. They have a stromboli that is THE best I've ever had, and the pizza is very good. The beer is darn tootin' too :)

(After trying out Schilling's, I thanked Tom R. for the shout out on VFTT. He said Chip is the one to thank, so... Thanks Chip!)

We usually go to the "You Should Probably Shower and Shave First" dining establishments without showering and shaving first. Usually...not always ;)

Haven't been there, but a couple of my friends really liked Rosa's. We tried to stop there a couple of weeks ago on a Tuesday and were told that they are closed on Tuesdays. I had some of Shillings beer recently and it was quite good.

I am still partial to the Woodstock Inn on the West side and the Shannon Door (Jackson) on the east. Delaneys also, but that has all of the headaches that come with being near North Conway.

Wow you guys and gals go to some nice places. I usually get a Subway footlong and split it with my dog Buddy.;) Although lately we are hooked on Elvio's.

It's nice to hear about different places to go for post hike beer and grub. On my way home I usually hit Elvio's or Woodstock if I'm in the Franconia area or Moat Mt. or Elvio's if I'm near Conway. It would be fun to try out some new places, even if I have to drive a little out of the way.

We've been going to Elvios on occasion for >20 years, but lately the kids and I agree that Kringles has much better pizza. Of course it only has a few tables to sit down after a hike, but it is quite close to Jackson.

For the Northern Whites, Northland Dairy Bar in Berlin is worth the drive, they have family type fare. The deserts are hard to beat. They do serve drinks but its definitely not a bar atmosphere.

In the north, you can't go wrong with Mr. Pizza in Gorham. Despite its name, I have never ordered pizza there, but everything else on the menu has been terrific. It is a fine place to eat and drink after a hike- and before a shower.

In the south, Almost There in Albany is consistently good, priced right, and you'll never feel out of place with stubble or grubby clothes.

I think they'd take you in looking grubby after a hike, though it's more of a shave+shower place, and I love it: The Common Man towards the east end of Lincoln just off the Kanc. Interesting, diverse menu and really like the decor and atmosphere, rustic and comfortable. Gypsy Cafe was ok, not great.

The brunch, more of a before hike thing, at Brittany's Cafe was excellent on July 4th weekend this summer. Lower price than some more famous spots close by, and very high quality. Friendly and casual, nice feel. Also in Lincoln/Woodstock area, Woodstock Inn and Flapjack's are both very good, but higher priced. Problem with Flapjack's is the line.

I forget the name of the new place in the basement at the Thayer Inn in Littleton. Limited bar menu, but what was there was very good. Nice place and neat old inn.

Last edited:
I forget the name of the new place in the basement at the Thayer Inn in Littleton. Limited bar menu, but what was there was very good. Nice place and neat old inn.

That's reopened as something different now. Since the fire or water or whatever happened there. A little too upscale for me the last time.

I think they'd take you in looking grubby after a hike, though it's more of a shave+shower place, and I love it: The Common Man towards the east end of Lincoln just off the Kanc.
I think Steve's answer when I asked if we were okay going there stinky was "Eh, Lincoln's a resort town, nobody will care." And they didn't.

If I'm remembering correctly, Dutch Treat is where I had an awesome "breakfast Reuben": eggs, sauerkraut, corned beef hash, tomato hollandaise between latkes. Really good.

A bit off the straight route home for Bostonians, but Jordan's Ice Creamery in Belmont (106 just north of 140) deserves the lines of people they get.

I do most of my post-hike eating in Gorham. There are a few good spots you can go after hiking. I've been to each of the following 10+ times anyway.

Jays is consistently good and you can sit in the bar at tables instead of the dining room. I've probably eaten there 40 times over the past ten years. It has a bar atmosphere some of the time. For years the bartender never smiled, never wrote down my order, and never made a mistake. Also has a dining room. Burgers, wraps, soups, steaks, fish. Wide price range on menu - pretty good on both ends.

Gorham House of Pizza I like for subs, fries, etc. It changed owners maybe a year ago and is quite good now I think. The pizza was fine but I don't get that usually. Cheaper than Jays.

Gorham Dynasty Buffet is Chinese buffet. If you like plates of fried rice, crab rangoon, sweet and sour chicken, etc, it is about the same quality as the food court at any mall. I have a punch card. It's all you can eat ice cream as well. Sometimes it's perfect. They have those ridiculous drinks like zombies. It's just over $10 I think for the buffet.

Pizza Hut and Subway get me sometimes too.

Black Mountain Burger in Lincoln is fabulous and just moved across the strip mall from its former location to more than double the space. Our go-to place this summer when in the Franconia area. Great 1/2 lb burgers, homemade baked beans and 30+ brews. (Not all on tap).