worth a new "Best restaurant for post-hike dinner in Whites" thread ?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't remember the name of it, but there's a great Mexican restaurant in North Conway. As you're heading south it's on the left, just where you turn into Hannaford's. Good beer selection and great margaritas, too...

I always shower after hiking and before going out to eat, I find I just enjoy my meal more if I do.

Not that it is a "shower and shave before going to" place but I like Scorpio's in Lancaster.

Scarecrow Pub in Jackson also gets a vote from me.

Black Mountain Burger in Lincoln is fabulous and just moved across the strip mall from its former location to more than double the space. Our go-to place this summer when in the Franconia area. Great 1/2 lb burgers, homemade baked beans and 30+ brews. (Not all on tap).

But, they HAVE stuff on tap now. I'm very happy about that fact :)

And yes, their burgers rock. Love the new location, so much bigger!

The Rosebrook Bar at the Mt. Washington Hotel is definitely a shower-and-shave establishment to be enjoyed without the shower and without the shave in your standard post-hike attire, cocktail in hand.

Another Gorham Option

I am also happy to say that the Boott Spur Grill in Gorham has served two really good meals in a row, one last weekend after FOT48.

Anyone familiar with the history of this building has seen it change names and styles nearly yearly for as long as I can recall. The previous place called Thanksgivings served one of the worst meals I had in years. And it is hard to mess up breakfast.

The burger and the haddock were both very good at BSG. I hope this one makes it.

I agree with Ravens observations on the restaurant next to the Royalty currently called Boott Spur Grille. It has had a mixed history. Boot Spur cultivated the boiler contractors in town last year to survive the dreaded "post leaf season to when snow flies" doldrums and the mud season . I hope they can survive them now that the contractors are out of town but expect it will be a challenge.

"Best" restaurant may be a stretch if you're hungry for something better than comfort food but the Common Man Restaurants are reliable. One we recently tried and enjoyed was the Italian Farmhouse on Daniel Webster Highway (rt. 25) in Plymouth, not far off I-93. The new State Liquor Stores they're building on I-93 south of Concord will have at least two Commpon Man restaurants, an Italian Farmhouse and 50's Diner. Can't get more convenient then that but if I'm that far south out of the mountains and I haven't eaten I generally prefer either Hermanos or Angelinas in downtown Concord.

How many of these places are dependable for a world class case of the trots? My wife sees some of those north area restaurants as 'risky'.

http://www.wmur.com/news/pollys-pancake-parlor-reopens-after-renovations/33057958 A new option to most is Pollys Pancake Parlor in Sugar Hill. It used to be open seasonally and had received great reviews. The owners have just rebuilt it and its going to be open year round

An update on the Boote Spur Grille in Gorham. It has been replaced with Guidis, They are open really odd hours 10 PM to 2 PM. I have not tired it.

On a Sunday morning back in the '80s, I had the best pancakes of my life at Polly's Pancake Parlor. The bacon was outstanding too - thick-cut and crisp but not tough. The pancakes were simple buttermilk, I think with pecans. Not novelty but perfect execution. There was a line to get in and very understandable.

Not sure if the Pig's Ear BBQ in Lincoln is still in business -- there was some doubt as of last winter whether she'd be continuing her lease -- but dang, what great food, in hiker-friendly portions and affordably priced, with very personal service.

I agree with Ravens observations on the restaurant next to the Royalty currently called Boott Spur Grille. It has had a mixed history. Boot Spur cultivated the boiler contractors in town last year to survive the dreaded "post leaf season to when snow flies" doldrums and the mud season . I hope they can survive them now that the contractors are out of town but expect it will be a challenge.

And once again, the restaurant in this space has flopped.

It has reopened as Guldie's which is at least the 5th place I can recall in the last 3-4 years.

Guldie's has been in North Conway and Berlin. Opens at 10 PM, yes, PM and closes at 2 PM.

In other words if you want a full breakfast at 2 AM before a traverse, this may be a good option. Based on the locale's history, you may want to try them sooner then later. Hopefully one of these places will last. Boott Spur Grill was not bad.

An update on the Boote Spur Grille in Gorham. It has been replaced with Guidis, They are open really odd hours 10 PM to 2 PM. I have not tired it.

Guldi's was formerly in NC and Berlin. Odd hours, but a thought; if you want a full breakfast at 2 AM before a traverse, this may be a good option. Based on the locale's history, you may want to try them sooner then later. Hopefully one of these places will last. Boott Spur Grill was not bad.

With respect to the restaurant of many names adjacent to the Royalty, I have heard second hand that the Royalty owns the facility. They apparently will make a deal with a potential operator based on some period of free or reduced rent to get it filled. Generally that buys the new operator a few months and they run during the profitable summer and fall season and then take a slump during the fall "mud season". Most of the time they rarely make it to ski season and if they do the spring mud season does them in. Considering Guidis hasn't even invested in a sign, I question its long term viability. Nevertheless options for an early breakfast is pretty slim in the Berlin/Gorham area so it may be handy while its open.

The prior operation, Boote Spur had steady stream of customers from the boiler project in Berlin. I ran into a few folks who ate there every night when they were in town. The cook would cook whatever they wanted. After about a 10 year run of hundreds of millions of dollars of construction in the Berlin/Gorham area, there are no major construction projects to speak of, so the local businesses are back to a tourist based business. The only bright spot is the ATV traffic from the Ride the Wilds trail network as there is little tourism infrastructure north of Gorham.

Thanks a million for the tip on Schillings! We will be coming off two days in the huts in July before heading to a B&B in Bethlehem, and I think Schillings is perfect for my Brit husband. A beer connoisseur!

Thanks a million for the tip on Schillings! We will be coming off two days in the huts in July before heading to a B&B in Bethlehem, and I think Schillings is perfect for my Brit husband. A beer connoisseur!

It's a good spot with great beer and very decent (limited) food: An old mill building on the river and a short drive back to Bethlehem.
In Bethlehem: Rosa Flamingos down stairs is good for an app, salad and/or pizza or dinner with many local brews, like Moat Mtn.