Hitchin' a ride...Rocky Branch (16) to Pinkham 9/13?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yogi

Reaction score
Just throwing this out there. Wondering if anyone would be driving this way in the mid/late afternoon this coming Saturday? I will have a medium sized Australian Shepherd with me (45 lbs). Back of a truck works just fine.
Planning to hike Isolation via Glen Boulder and would like to cruise out Rocky Branch. I estimate the road walk back at around 4.5 miles...I've done worse, but may just backtrack if there is a slim chance of catching a ride (which is typical with a dog).
Don't need concrete plans, meeting time, etc. but if there's hope, I may just give it a shot.
Thought maybe with the flags event going on there would be more hiker traffic than normal in that direction. Gas money, a cold beer, an IOU for a future ride of similar nature....or any combination thereof.
Thanks!
Dave.

Just throwing this out there. Wondering if anyone would be driving this way in the mid/late afternoon this coming Saturday? I will have a medium sized Australian Shepherd with me (45 lbs). Back of a truck works just fine.
Planning to hike Isolation via Glen Boulder and would like to cruise out Rocky Branch. I estimate the road walk back at around 4.5 miles...I've done worse, but may just backtrack if there is a slim chance of catching a ride (which is typical with a dog).
Don't need concrete plans, meeting time, etc. but if there's hope, I may just give it a shot.
Thought maybe with the flags event going on there would be more hiker traffic than normal in that direction. Gas money, a cold beer, an IOU for a future ride of similar nature....or any combination thereof.
Thanks!
Dave.

Your odds of getting a hitch on 16 on a Saturday afternoon are pretty good, even with the dog.

Your odds of getting a hitch on 16 on a Saturday afternoon are pretty good, even with the dog.

The last time I did this hike, my partner and I were picked up without thumbing it. I've been picked up coming up to the notch from the north side as well without asking.

One of the easier hitches around.

I would be the negative voice in this crowd. When we did Isolation on Flags on 48 in 2012 we did exactly what you are planning. I felt it would be easy to get a ride back to Pinkham. By the time we hit the parking lot many were gone and the two I asked were going the other way. I tried the road but I was not able to get a ride.
Traffic is moving fast on 16 here, it is also a curve. By the time you are spotted most are going too fast and are by you. If you can get a ride from someone in the lot you should be ok. As with all hitching it can be hit or miss. good luck.

If I saw a man that looked like you walking down the road, I probably wouldn't pick you up either.

Check your private message inbox on this forum, I might be able to help you.