Common Loon, 3 Toed Woodpecker, others endangered in the lower 48

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seems healthy here:

10551427_10202284828222464_3130246425066308693_o.jpg

Ironically, after spending 17 years on Saturday Pond in Otisfield Maine, this is the first year that the resident pair of Loons have succeeded in raising an offspring through the end of the summer. Historically, the Loon babies rarely make it past the first couple of weeks as they are very susceptible to predators.

I don't mean to make light of the OP, this just looked like a good opportunity to share a couple recent pics from Streeter Pond, Sugar Hill.

I didn't think you were - I was just being my usual cheeky self. The emoticon was meant to diffuse. :)

I don't mean to make light of the OP, this just looked like a good opportunity to share a couple recent pics from Streeter Pond, Sugar Hill.

Oh pretty. I didn't realize we had any Loons in Sugar Hill. Guess I never thought about it.

This loon and this one, and these four all seemed to be doing OK last month on Scraggly Lake in Maine.

Ironically, after spending 17 years on Saturday Pond in Otisfield Maine, this is the first year that the resident pair of Loons have succeeded in raising an offspring through the end of the summer. Historically, the Loon babies rarely make it past the first couple of weeks as they are very susceptible to predators.

Oh pretty. I didn't realize we had any Loons in Sugar Hill. Guess I never thought about it.

This loon and this one, and these four all seemed to be doing OK last month on Scraggly Lake in Maine.
Perhaps more important than the presence of adults is whether they are able to fledge some chicks.

A breeding pair will fight (to the death, if need be) for their territory/pond if they have eggs or chicks. So four loons on a pond means that there are no young chicks present. (More than 2 adults can also occur at the end of the summer when they are preparing to migrate.)

Doug

Perhaps more important than the presence of adults is whether they are able to fledge some chicks.

A breeding pair will fight (to the death, if need be) for their territory/pond if they have eggs or chicks. So four loons on a pond means that there are no young chicks present. (More than 2 adults can also occur at the end of the summer when they are preparing to migrate.)

Doug

Up on lake Umbagog (which is certainly large enough to host multiple pairs) we were 'serenaded' with the sounds of Loons having it out all night. I don't recall seeing any chicks, but it was relatively early (June 20th). We did see several pairs diving and feeding though. I'm guessing that means those pairs didn't have any eggs to incubate...

Up on lake Umbagog (which is certainly large enough to host multiple pairs) we were 'serenaded' with the sounds of Loons having it out all night. I don't recall seeing any chicks, but it was relatively early (June 20th). We did see several pairs diving and feeding though. I'm guessing that means those pairs didn't have any eggs to incubate...
Large lakes have room for multiple territories. Minimum territory size is limited by the ability to produce enough food (small fish) to feed the adults and their growing offspring. Smaller ponds (eg 1/2 mile diameter Jabe Pond near Lake George) may only be able to support one breeding pair.

If there are eggs in the nest, you will most likely see only one adult at a time because the other will be on the nest. Once the chicks leave the nest you are likely to see both adults (as well as the chicks). And as noted earlier, any time you see more than two adults it tells you that there are no eggs or chicks present.

There are a number reasons for breeding failure: water level changes or high waves can drown eggs*, predation, pollution, human disturbance, etc.
* Loons have difficulty walking on land--therefore the nests are placed very close to the water's edge and very close to the water level.

Loons are also very nasty and aggressive birds--they have been known to spear ducks from below with their beaks... But they are good indicators of undisturbed habitats because of their intolerance of humans. (But the sizable population on busy Lake Winnipesaukee shows that they can habituate to some degree.)

Doug

Thanks for sharing them, the clarity is amazing. I did not know loons were endangered since I see them regularly on my annual visits. There were 4 loons on Streeter every day when I was there in mid-August. Also noted: Osprey, Great Blue Heron, Belted Kingfisher, and 3 otters. Although devoid of birdlife, this shot may look familiar. Streeter Sunset.jpg

These are nowhere near the quality of Chip's pics, but this is the first chick to survive past July on North Pond just west of Bethel, ME in many years. They were taken in mid August this year 50' from my parent's cabin.

Feeding Baby.JPG

baby2.JPG

Thanks for sharing them, the clarity is amazing. I did not know loons were endangered since I see them regularly on my annual visits. There were 4 loons on Streeter every day when I was there in mid-August. Also noted: Osprey, Great Blue Heron, Belted Kingfisher, and 3 otters. Although devoid of birdlife, this shot may look familiar. View attachment 5049

We must have seen you ! This would sync to your pic !

10582955_10202284822462320_2738996086462132272_o.j  pg

See the video here (if you can - let me know - It ends with what would be your pic) :

Here's a loon with youngsters on Umbagog in August:

10497357_10202279005276894_5050535136753982538_o.j  pg

Last edited:
Aziscohos Lake is loaded with loons. On lakes controlled by hydro dams, loon rafts are installed to allow the Loons to raise their young despite the changes in the pond level.

Sorry Chip, I can't see that video as I am not on Facebook. My photo is undated but probably 8/18-20. If you canoed or kayaked around the pond, I probably saw you especially if it was around sunset. In 2011 I was lucky enough to observe 3 Bald Eagles at Streeter, 1 adult and 2 young ones, not fully mature. In 2012 only one remained. Alas I did not see any the last 2 years. They liked to perch in that tall pine, mid-pond on the north side. Streeter is a nice little hide-away.

Last edited:
Sorry Chip, I can't see that video as I am not on Facebook. My photo is undated but probably 8/18-20. If you canoed or kayaked around the pond, I probably saw you especially if it was around sunset. In 2011 I was lucky enough to observe 3 Bald Eagles at Streeter, 1 adult and 2 young ones, not fully mature. In 2012 only one remained. Alas I did not see any the last 2 years. They liked to perch in that tall pine, mid-pond on the north side. Streeter is a nice little hide-away.

I can confirm that a Bald Eagle was there (on Umbagog) in June. It flew right over us a couple of times and then perched on that tall dead tree near the mouth of the Andro. It was pretty darn cool! We also saw a immature 'Golden' eagle, and (another?) one on about 10 miles up the Magalloway that also gave us a nice fly over.

Edit: Sorry, I was clearly confused. I was talking about Umbagog. I'll leave the post despite it's lesser relevance!

Last edited: