Backpacking with Newfoundlands

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4Paws4Feet

Reaction score
I have been hiking in the Whites for the last couple years with my (now 2.5 yo) Newfoundland dog. She does great on day hikes and single night backpacking trips, but I am interested in starting to do some longer trips (4+ days).

Does anyone have any experience doing long hikes like this with a Newfoundland, or any other giant breed dog? Any help/tips/experiences would be great. I am trying to figure out the best way to safely let her enjoy these longer hikes with us, as we are considering a possible AT thru-hike with her in the future.

Thanks!

If he doesn't respond here, send a PM to Kevin Rooney. He's the person in this site who has had the most experience with Newfies.

He's undoubtedly the person anywhere who has had the most experience with a Newfy in the Whites. Might be the same for the Sierra Nevada, for all I know.

BTW, I used to have one as well. I applaud your desire and concern!

Whiteblaze.net has a lot of info about doing the AT with dog. A lot of logistical issues and strong feelings pro/con though.