Will You Buy a NH HikeSafe Card?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Will You Buy a NH Hike Safe Card?

• Yes!

Votes: 14 15.7%
  • Probably Yes

Votes: 17 19.1%
  • Probably Not

Votes: 19 21.3%
  • No - I am covered another way

Votes: 13 14.6%
  • No - Just No.

Votes: 26 29.2%

• Total voters
It would be interesting to determine how many VFTT members have in the past had to be part of an organized rescue that would fall under Fish and Game.
I believe that one very long term member from far western NY was littered down out of Tuckermans many years ago but that was a USFS and not NHF&G activity. There was the unfortunate member from two winters ago that got much publicity of being someone who got charged for a very questionable case of negligence. There are a couple of other folks who probably deserved to be rescued but out of shear will elected to self rescue. The intent of this is not to shame anyone as much as to establish how often an experienced hiker actually has had use for the service.

My speculation is that the folks most likely to need the services are new to hiking and most likely the least likely to buy a pass as they probably aren't going to be aware of it.

Is most of the State of NH and Fish & Game web traffic from VFTT members or newer hikers. I know I only go the site if there is a link to a rescue or comments about one. For New England info, I'm either here of the NETC website.

If there actually was a card I could pick up at the USFS info centers like the parking pass, I might pick one up. As it stands now, I won't be buying one.

There are no permits (or waivers) required for groups to use the WMNF, unless you are collecting a tuition or fee for services, since this is considered commercial activity.
I don't charge a tuition or a fee but I do collect for accommodations (using a tax exempt id) and certain meals. It is not considered commercial. I recommend playing it safe and contacting NFS, specifically Jennifer Batt, who I believe is in the Laconia office. She asks for certain information and sends me a WMNF "Outfitter Guide Contact Card" with "Permit Waived/Not Required" checked off. She also sends a small supply of the latest WMNF backcountry/camping regulations and Leave No Trace pamphlets to share with the group. The card is good for a year.

Jennifer is very helpful in other ways and I recommend at least contacting her in advance and going through the process if and as necessary. It may save a lot of aggravation in event that things take a turn for the worse or if a ranger checks on the group.

As much as we may subscribe to "this land is your land, this land is my land" and "live free or die", when you take responsibility for others it is smart to play by the rules of whoever's land you're on.

It would be useful to find a data source with actual statistics on the number of hikers rescued versus the number of determinations of negligence, And more useful would be copies of he actual documents which provide the basis for the determination of hiker negligence. I can only find re-hashed news stories with summaries. Might be worth while to read a few, especially regarding the question of solo hiking.

It would be useful to find a data source with actual statistics on the number of hikers rescued versus the number of determinations of negligence, And more useful would be copies of he actual documents which provide the basis for the determination of hiker negligence. I can only find re-hashed news stories with summaries. Might be worth while to read a few, especially regarding the question of solo hiking.

I agree.

It would also be worth finding out if these documents are considered public record as they are tax payer funded. It may be that the public has full, legal viewing access to all of those original accident reports, and it may be a simple matter of making a formal, written request to the department.

Anyone?

There are no permits (or waivers) required for groups to use the WMNF, unless you are collecting a tuition or fee for services, since this is considered commercial activity.

I don't believe that to be true. At least it wasn't in my case(s) many years ago. B&G Clubs, YMCA (kids).

I think the word "educational" is there somewhere in the OFG cards and that's why I always had to get them.

They also use the data of past trip reports to better chart use by groups.

Peace.

jay