5 peaks of adams any tips on hiking to them

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

srshaw3

Reaction score
As a prelude to understand my knowledge and fitness: I have been hiking for several decades, and have hiked the NH 48 4000', as well as the on day presi traverse a few times and the 3 bonds in day.

I would like to summit the 5 Adams peaks as a prelude to add them to a one day presi traverse.
I kind of know where they are, have maps and compass, I am looking for thoughts on the best trail/bush whack to follow to summit them between Madison and Jefferson.
Thank you in advance for your thoughts.

Well as you can see there are many options within that trail network. One option would be to ascend via Lowes Path which takes you over (actually just to the right of the trail) Abigail Adams (formerly Adams 4) on the way to the main summit. From the summit, start descending toward Madison via Air Line Trail. JQ Adams will be a short and obvious scramble to your right before you hit the junction with Gulfside Trail. Turn left on Gulfside and return to Thunderstorm junction. Sam Adams is right in front of you. From Sam, follow the white trail or just make a bee line back to Gulfside and follow it southwest. Right around the junction with Israel Ridge Path, you'll see 2 knobs off to your left. The second, higher one is Adams 5. Descend by Israel Ridge Path, veering off right and taking either Gray Knob Trail or Randolph Path back to Lowes Path. Sort of a loop. It puts you back where you started anyway.17 Star Lake, Madison.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you Grey, good information for me to consider how to hike them initially as part of the northern presidentials, and eventually as part of the presi-traverse.

Looks like it might be best for me to take the normal path to Madison, via Valley Way, then up to airline, scramble up and down JQ, then to Adams, down to thunderstorm junction, down Lowe's to Abigail and back, then scramble to Sam and back, then Gulfside to Jefferson. For my "scouting" run, I will then go back to Applachia. Probably a good hike for the foliage right now too! :)