Wild River loop

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rainman

Reaction score
Trails: Highwater, Wild River, Eagle Link, Meader Ridge, Basin Rim, Royce, Burnt Mill Brook.
Started Thursday at noon from Hastings, light rain and warm. Many short reroutes along the trail due to damage from Irene. All of the blowdowns have been cleared, and the trail is well blazed - even if most of them are old. Ran into a black bear along the way, he hadn't noticed me yet, but a short hello sent him loping off into the woods. Found a beautiful place to camp off trail the first night, and enjoyed the clearing weather. Continued SW along the Highwater to the Wild River trail. There is one spot that is confusing, just after crossing Red Brook, the trail turns right up the hill. There is an arrow, but it is place high and behind some leaves, the herd path straight ahead is quite prominent.
The signs at the Eagle Link jct have not been updated to Wilderness stds (they are painted and show mileage to other points) and Eagle Link is still well blazed. There are many bog bridges on Eagle Link which are reaching the end of their useful life, still functioning, but not for long.
Eagle Crag is a beautiful open ledge, a great spot with views to spend some time.
Turning NE and following the Meader Ridge and Basin Rim trail is a nice walk, with some baby PUDS for contrast. It is quite a drop to Rim Jct (feels like a deeper drop than appears on the map).
I stayed at Blue Brook Campsite, beautiful little waterfall there. Unfortunately a 4H group showed up with a group exceeding Wilderness rules, who were very loud and abrasive. They were heading for Spruce Brook for Saturday night. I managed to stay away from them with some effort.
Back to the ridge on day 3, and continue along Basin Rim to West Royce mtn. Some very nice views along the way. A steep climb, followed by a long summit ridge.
Down Royce Trail to Burnt Mill Brook trail for a nice walk in the woods back to Wild River Rd.
I managed to score a ride after only about 1/2 hour of walking to get back to the car.
Overall a great three day getaway.

Last edited: