New Hampshire - Maine - New Hampshire

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Rankin

Reaction score
We hiked Sandwich Dome 9/8. It was a beautiful day. We also added on Jennings and Noon, doing a loop back down the Drakes Brook trail. All 3 peaks have nice to great views! We noted the remains of an old logging camp near the bottom.

9/9 we headed to Maine. We arrived at our Cabin on Kidney Pond and made ourselves at home. 9/10 we did the North Brother / Fort / North Brother / South Brother / Coe loop. The weather was chilly but dead calm on the summits, and we had unlimited views in every direction! :D The slide was a little tricky, but we made it down in 1 piece!

9/11 it rained, we walked around the camp ground to stretch our legs.

9/12 we hiked Doubletop from the North. We saw a Bull Moose in the woods, with a small rack. Then about 100 feet away, a huge Bull with a giant rack! :eek: It was rutting season, so we did not get too close! The summit is open enough to allow views in all directions. The vista is unique, in that Baxter and his buddies are to one side, and the other side is the wilds of Western Maine.

9/13 we hiked Waumbek for Flags on the 48. It was chilly and cloudy but we mostly avoided the rain and flew several flags from 12-2. We had quite a few visitors, many of which were unaware of the event.

Waumbek was the finish of my 3rd round of the '67', and Laurie's 2nd.

Not a bad way to spend a week's vacation! :D

Tom it was nice meeting you, and the rest of the NY gang on top of Waumbek. Thank you for continuing to hike this event every year. Hopefully my gang can do another Flags on the 48 next year. Happy Trails. :)

You too. We always try to pick a different peak, for variety, and oh yeah, we're peakbaggers! :D While it was cool to finish my 3d round, that pales in comparison to the real reason we were there. Never forget...