High Peaks with limited views

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lefty E

Reaction score
Just checking in with the experts from the ADKs...have seen a list of peak view ranking of the 46rs, but can't seem to locate it...what peaks from Adirondack Loj, Garden, and Elk Lake would be an option on a non optimal viewing day?? thanks Lefty E PS just like the Whites, I know there are nice views going to or on all of them!!

From the Loj, Street and Nye. Street has a vie in an opening through the trees. You don't want to do it after a lot of rain though as the first crossing can be hard when high.

From the Garden, the two Wolf Jaws have some views but less than any other of the 46 reached from the Garden.

While you can get to Blake from Elk Lake, most people get there from the Ausable Club over Colvin. The Dixs have really great views, if not from the top, then from close by. On a non-optimal day, I'd pick Macomb as you can get some views from the slide quite a bit below the summit in case the summit is socked in.

Search hard enough and you can find a view from them all. But ones known to have poorer views: Blake, Nye, Cliff, Couch, Marshall.....If the summit is not in the clouds, Macomb has great VFTT.

Thanks! very useful info and nice ranking sheet Tim, I do believe that is one I did see sometime ago...

Marshall has some awesome views but not from the official herdpath. Basically the "Pin Pin, Jr" route as what I've heard it called...

Jay

In my experience, on a viewless day, the view is similar regardless of the peak that you are on. That said, as they say, no two clouds are alike.

"In my experience, on a viewless day, the view is similar regardless of the peak that you are on. That said, as they say, no two clouds are alike. "

Macomb s great views up high but I had on my list as you get great views also fairly low on the slide. While it is pretty common on bad days to have the summits in the clouds, even on some of the 3500 foot peaks, the lower part of the slide would likely offer a view below the cloud deck. The ladders on the way up Saddleback probably would do, however most of the scenery there would be in the clouds above you. From Macomb, parts of Pinnacle Ridge are lower and views away from Dix, Nipple Top and the Great Range, (generally SW I guess), would be at lower peaks that may be below the cloud deck.

thanks to all for the info, got some stuff done this week...the maps and guidebook makes more sense the more one does!!