A Few Days In Baxter State Park

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JustBob

Reaction score
Spent a few days at BSP last week.

I drove up from Southern NH Sunday, had an early lunch at the Appalachian Trail Cafe in Millinocket, then walked up to the bunkhouse at Chimney Pond. It was a little chilly, but another resident had the stove going. Sweet.

Monday started out cold, and things were pretty well socked in. So I skipped the Knife Edge and took Saddle Trail to Baxter Peak. The summit was in the clouds, with rime ice and a pretty stiff breeze. Heard voices from the lee of some rocks - a couple of thru hikers who had just finished. They were totally blissed out. The beers they were drinking probably helped too. "So, after the AT what's next?", I asked. "I'm going to McDonalds to eat twenty cheeseburgers." The AT is all about short-range planning.

Headed over to Hamlin in improving weather, delayering (is that a word?) as I went. The clouds were gone by early afternoon, yielding a spectacular descent down Hamlin Ridge. Very cool. Next time I might consider ascending Hamlin Ridge rather than descending.

On Tuesday I walked down from Chimney Pond to Roaring Brook in the rain and drove over to the bunkhouse at Nesowadnehunk with a side trip to the Appalachian Trail Cafe for a late breakfast. The bunkhouse at Nesowadnehunk is tiny, four bunks and about 12x12. I was the only person in the entire campground that night; not even a ranger on duty. The weather cleared and the stars came out. Perfect.

Wednesday I went up Marston to North Brother. It was a little cold and still wet from the previous day's rain. Made it to the summit, finishing my NE67, reasonably quickly (3 hours). Then I sat on top for some time looking at Fort, but just didn't seem to have the juice for it. Another time.

I shared the bunkhouse on Wednesday night with a couple of young backpackers four days into a six-day trip, then drove home Thursday.

I'm already thinking about the next trip to Baxter.

Last edited:
Nice! Sounds like a good finish to your 67... I just have North Brother left, and I can't wait to see that peak (not to finish the list, but just because it looks really great).

Hope you get back there again soon. What a wonderful place :)