report of a hiker killed by a black bear in NJ

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I see what you are saying but bears exist in virtually every state along the eastern seaboard, except possibly RI and DE.

The largest black bear I have seen (of a total of maybe 8) was backpacking in Ocala National Forest in Florida. Massive.

A bear was backpacking?

Earlier I saw an ad on Freecycle that said, "Wanted: Harry Potter Glasses for 8-Year Old."

I thought about responding, "That hardly seems like a fair trade at all."

I refrained.

Yes Billy, A bear was backpacking. A massive one. Focus.

;)

I have been hiking and backpacking in the Catskills (with a couple of trips to the Eastern Sierras mixed in) since the mid 70s and have never seen a bear. Bear scat, yes, but no bears. Until one morning last month when I was driving up the NYS Thruway from Long Island to East Greenbush (across the river from Albany) for a business meeting. Somewhere between exits 19 (Kingston) and 20, I thought I saw a large black garbage bag being blown along the guard rail - on the side away from the road. As I got closer, I realized it had a face and snout. I have no idea how big the bear actually was, but the top of its back was above the top of the guard rail. At one point, it put its head over the guard rail, looked both ways up and down the shoulder, turned around and ran back into the trees.

I have never carried bear spray, but my wife is asking me to reconsider, as my term life insurance policy expires in a year. :)

OK...In the past few months I have had black bears came into my "at large" camp on two separate occasions. On the first occasion, the bear tore down the tarp that I had put up in front of the entrance to my tent, but I was able to encourage it to leave. The second time the bear charged my camp and circled around and under my food bag hanging in a tree approx 100' away. Luckily it also left, eventually. This was in Harriman State Park! (Rockland County part- and that is as far as I will identify the area other then to say that I was not near a leanto and yes I know that camping at large is illegal in HSP- but too bad)

While it is fairly common in grizzly country to carry bear spray ... or a weapon ... few of ever deemed that necessary in black bear country. I suggest perhaps it is time, in black bear problem areas, to carry it not so much for self defense but hopefully as part of a larger effort (which most of us are already familiar with) to discourage black bear human acclimation.

OK...In the past few months I have had black bears came into my "at large" camp on two separate occasions. On the first occasion, the bear tore down the tarp that I had put up in front of the entrance to my tent, but I was able to encourage it to leave. The second time the bear charged my camp and circled around and under my food bag hanging in a tree approx 100' away. Luckily it also left, eventually. This was in Harriman State Park! (Rockland County part- and that is as far as I will identify the area other then to say that I was not near a leanto and yes I know that camping at large is illegal in HSP- but too bad)

There are plenty there. I live a little farther north not too far from Fahnstock Park. There is a large section of woods around my street. A neighbor was having trouble with their bird feeder being knocked down multiple times. She put a trail camera up and guess what, it wasn't a group of kids but an adorable black bear. He/she was smaller sized, probably 250lb. Scarier by us is the large, and I mean large number of coyotes.

I learned on my first black bear trip in NWT CA that bears seem to take a camera lens, especially a large camera lens, as a hostile action. I often am lugging around a D600 with a big n heavy lens and it is very hard to remember NOT to snap pics.
Staring directly at a bear is viewed by the bear as a threat posture. Perhaps it perceives the camera to be a (human?) monster with a big eye...

Doug

Staring directly at a bear is viewed by the bear as a threat posture. Perhaps it perceives the camera to be a (human?) monster with a big eye...

When confronted with an aggressive bear, the first order of business for hikers is to determine whether the behavior is defensive or predatory. In the former case, the bear will exhibit lots of sound and fury. The generally accepted correct response to this is to slowly retreat, thereby removing the threat that the bear perceives. Cutting and running is a bad idea, and could lead to an instinctive chase response by the bear.

In contrast, a predating bear will do its best to be stealthy on approach (its objective is to catch and eat you). The police comments about the photos lead me to infer that this is the frame of mind the bear was in. The correct response in such a case is to make yourself as large, loud and threatening to the bear as possible, monster smart phone and all, in order to deter continuation of the predation. Splitting up, cutting and running was the exact wrong response.

The stats say that this doesn't happen very often with black bears -- but it happened. It's sad to see this end result when so many alternate choices could have been made to avert it.

Alex

Last edited:
Given the limited - if any - experience most have with a bear confrontation, this is a dice roll, at best, in the time frame prescribed.