Road status in "western ME" ?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sherby

Reaction score
Hi,

We'll try to bag some 3k this fall in "western" ME, if anyone has recent info on the logging roads status it would be much appreciated (specially since we don't have a high-clearance car).

BTW, I'm also interested in possible PP issues we may encounter.

FYI, we were able to drive the clearwater brook rd. last weekend, only a couple spots to handle with care.

Last edited:
Unless specifically posted otherwise, I would assume three things: hiking is fine, park outside the lane of travel, no fires.

@Raymond, in case your not mocking me, I meant Private Property. Like the Penobscot territory or the Wind farms or others I may not be aware of.

Unless specifically posted otherwise, I would assume three things: hiking is fine, park outside the lane of travel, no fires.

Yeah, I've read the signs on some of these roads (I've done the NEHH and a few 3k already), so I'm looking for more specific info/report about them, either coming from the 27 or the 201.

Last edited:
I had no idea what you meant by that, although I guessed it based on TEO’s response. I wish people — not just you, but in general — would spell things out on first reference, rather than assume everyone understands these abbreviations.

I think it can be assumed that we all understand AMC or FBI, but PP? My first thought was that you were wondering where to go to the toilet, and I’m not trying to be funny by saying that.

Regarding the roads, the situation could be completely different nowadays, but the few occasions (2004-6) that I drove onto the roads to White Cap, Kennebago Divide, and Cupsuptic Snow; East Kennebago; or Snow Mountain, I don’t remember encountering any other vehicles at all, either logging trucks or private cars. Just a moose or two. For Snow, there was a sign with a telephone number to call, so I did and was told that hunting may be going on, so we scratched attempting it that September. I climbed it the following July. For Boundary, I climbed it from ZEC Louise Gosford. Not sure if any drones would be watching to make sure you don’t cross over to the U.S. side to touch the summit cairn or not. There may be a register there, too, I don’t know. There wasn’t when I was there, just plastic shards.

Actually, be polite and you will get a lot of helpful info here. But you will occasionally have to take some constructive criticism.

I think I should understand I'm wasting my time here.

To be fair, your original post was pretty vague. Western Maine is a relatively vast area. I would suggest that you ask something along the lines of "I'm hoping to hike X mountain, from Y road. Does anyone have any recent information about the access & status of Y road?" Or, more simply, "Does anyone know the status of X, Y, & Z roads?"

Or, suck it up & drive as far as you can.

I think I should understand I'm wasting my time here.
Low blow, acronym man. I think it would help if you were more specific about which roads you're interested in. There are lots of forest and logging roads in "western ME".

My experience is that it is more fun traveling them, and more accessible even when they're not in good condition (some are not maintained when there is no logging going on) when you have high clearance. Save your undercarriage for civilized places.

Most of that land is private property owned and maintained, largely, by companies/individuals in the timber business. They've been quite generous in allowing access for recreational use, asking only that we don't burn the woods down and don't get in the way of their operations ... a fair bargain. Some of it has conservation easements which may have its own restrictions.

Let us know where you want to go and I'll bet someone here has been there recently.

My last reply certainly should have been more polite, I'm sorry about it, but now this thread has already derailed enough. If I have a specific question I'll create another one.