Mount Chocorua - Middle Sister 9-24-2014

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WeRmudfun

Reaction score
Apparently doing either Chocorua or Middle Sister as our last fire tower site wasn't meant to be (Heads up:neither was Currier. ;) ), the mountains called us last Wednesday, so we had to answer. #86 and #87 are now in the bag on the NH Fire Tower List of the 93 towers that are standing, once stood or were proposed. Both of these mountains are also on 52WAV.
Last Wednesday was my day off so my wife took a vacation day, we got up early and headed north. We knew the Chocorua was another popular mountain, so we figured a Wednesday at the end of September would be a good time to avoid crowds. There were two other people on the summit of Chocorua when we got there. As we headed over to Middle Sister though, there were more people heading up Chocorua than we expected. An early start time was a score for us! :cool:
We headed up the Champney Brook Trail and at the very first water crossing we knew not to expect any spectacular falls, there was hardly any water in the brook. We still decided to go and see what the falls looked like and were pleasantly surprised at what we found. There was hardly any water, but it gave us the opportunity to explore the area that would normally be filled with water. We had a good time crawling into all the nooks and crannies. We also found the "The Earth Rose" geocache.
Leaving the loop Trail we continued on along the Champney Brook Trail. When we got up to the view point we went and took a look. It was hazy, but it always seems to be hazy. The views were still nice though.
At 0.4 miles from the summit, on the Piper Trail we did find "Grampa Jim's" geocache. Shortly there after we got our view of our destination and WOW what a site it was. The scramble to the top was a lot of fun and then to only see two people on the summit was a gift. :D We looked around, took a small break and then we headed down and over to Middle Sister.
We followed the Piper Trail over to the Middle Sister Trail, then followed that to Middle Sister. Just before the summit we noticed and interesting piece of metal off the left of the trail, so we went and investigated it. We still don't know what was though. At the summit of Middle Sister we were quite impressed with the views and the artifacts were very cool. The only thing that we weren't impressed with was that metal (Radio) building. It doesn't fit among the artifacts. :( The really nice thing was we had the whole summit to ourselves for about an hour. We had lunch, explored, enjoyed the views and even relaxed in the sun.
Overall it was a fantastic day, the weather was great and we had a ball on this adventure. We do intend to go back and see the falls when they are flowing, plus we want to try the other trails to the summit of Chocorua.
We did post a video for anyone interested in seeing the hike...

We were up there on Chocorua and The Sisters in August. My friend and long time hiking partner, Kman, maintains that the rotating metal pipe was a sighting tool for establishing the location of fires. Assuming that's the artifact of which you speak. I have no idea if he's correct as I haven't done the research, but it does makes sense.

We were up there on Chocorua and The Sisters in August. My friend and long time hiking partner, Kman, maintains that the rotating metal pipe was a sighting tool for establishing the location of fires. Assuming that's the artifact of which you speak. I have no idea if he's correct as I haven't done the research, but it does makes sense.

That's what we suspected it was, but wasn't sure. Thanks.

Nice video. The views at the top more than made up for the lack of flow on the falls. Nice job.