Winter 48 Rules

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4Paws4Feet

Reaction score
If I hike any of the NH-48 in the winter, can I count those peaks for both the NH-48 list, and the winter NH-48 list? Or do I need summit each peak twice for both lists to count?

Thanks!

I personally did them separately, for some reason I felt double counting was cheating. I've often wondered if one were to submit a list entirely of winter hikes to the committee would one receive both patches. I will have to ask June that question sometime.

I personally did them separately, for some reason I felt double counting was cheating. I've often wondered if one were to submit a list entirely of winter hikes to the committee would one receive both patches. I will have to ask June that question sometime.

I'm pretty sure both patches would be qualified for. The NH48 requires you hike the 48. The W48 requires hiking all 48 in winter. Since the criteria for both would have been met, I would say both patches are achieved. They'd have a tough time counting one of the 48 for both but not all of the 48.

I'm pretty sure both patches would be qualified for. The NH48 requires you hike the 48. The W48 requires hiking all 48 in winter. Since the criteria for both would have been met, I would say both patches are achieved. They'd have a tough time counting one of the 48 for both but not all of the 48.

Yes, it's permissible per the rules of the game laid out on the official AMC 4000 Footer Committee site I referenced above, and I have little doubt that such 2-for-1 applications have been made. However, I think it's radically improbable that such folks truly haven't hiked a single one of the 4000 footers in the 3 seasons before completing them all in winter. Rather, it's simply an expedient and 'cute' way to make application, at the cost of not being recognized for completing the 'any season' 48 as soon as they actually did.

I've been procrastinating for years on making my own 'any season' application. I'll likely do it at the same time as I apply for my winter patch, but my 'any season' list will reflect my earliest possible qualifying visits to those peaks.

Alex

However, I think it's radically improbable that such folks truly haven't hiked a single one of the 4000 footers in the 3 seasons before completing them all in winter. Rather, it's simply an expedient and 'cute' way to make application, at the cost of not being recognized for completing the 'any season' 48 as soon as they actually did.
Consider the accomplished, but frugal Winter 46er, who lives in NY, but would rather minimize his/her travel to the Whites. This person could certainly make a few forays over to NH and bang out the W48.

I would think with the green initiatives, the AMC would be looking to having the lists doubled-up to cut down on wasteful travel....;)

Consider the accomplished, but frugal Winter 46er, who lives in NY, but would rather minimize his/her travel to the Whites. This person could certainly make a few forays over to NH and bang out the W48.

Tom, I rank as a 7 or so out of 10 on the frugality scale, but our geographic circumstances are reversed - the Whites are my 'local' playground, and I'm getting steadily more enamored with the prospect of checking off the Daks. I feel pretty convinced that winter's the way to go per the theme of this thread, and esp. so since I'm not a big fan of lots of wet on the trail.

However, two factors keep me from wanting to avoid the 3 seasons there anywhere close to entirely: first, there's lots of unique and spectacular 3-season hiking to be done there (or so I hear, lol) - for example, my ADK debut this past summer took the form of a gorgeous Great Range traverse - and second, I feel the need for a certain degree of pre-winter familiarity with these new and different environs.

Alex

Last edited:
Tom, I rank as a 7 or so out of 10 on the frugality scale, but our geographic circumstances are reversed - the Whites are my 'local' playground, and I'm getting steadily more enamored with the prospect of checking off the Daks. I feel pretty convinced that winter's the way to go per the theme of this thread, and esp. so since I'm not a big fan of lots of wet on the trail.

However, two factors keep me from wanting to avoid the 3 seasons there anywhere close to entirely: first, there's lots of unique and spectacular 3-season hiking to be done there (or so I hear, lol) - for example, my ADK debut this past summer took the form of a gorgeous Great Range traverse - and second, I feel the need for a certain degree of pre-winter familiarity with these new and different environs.

Alex

I agree with familiarizing oneself with the peaks, or at least, go with an experienced person.

if one were to skin up a 4ker via splitboard or skis does that count? does one need to snowshoe? when i did some winter nh 4kers in the past i had snowshoed up and snowboarded down. now i have a splitboard and would like to use it for some of the vermont peaks. is that allowable?

if one were to skin up a 4ker via splitboard or skis does that count? does one need to snowshoe? when i did some winter nh 4kers in the past i had snowshoed up and snowboarded down. now i have a splitboard and would like to use it for some of the vermont peaks. is that allowable?

Skis and splitboards are allowed! :D

Besides, if you did them all but only in winter you would miss out on one of the best parts of the Adirondacks - the boot sucking mud.

Besides, if you did them all but only in winter you would miss out on one of the best parts of the Adirondacks - the boot sucking mud.

I mentioned above that I'm not a huge fan of wet trails. I can still feel the incredulity as the trail I was on, coming off the flanks of Haystack and Marcy, took a turn and became a boulder/log hop along [well not really just 'along' - more actually *in*] a large stream for a good fraction of a mile. I guess one could argue that this wasn't a wet trail because I managed not to actually get wet, but still...

Can any of the winter 46'ers comment on how well traveled the more remote peaks are? NH has the Bonds, Isolation and Owl's Head. The first three have trails, some have bushwhacked off them while the other two have bushwhacks between parts of the trail to cut the distance or elevation gain. In comparison, Allen, the three Santa's & the Sewards have miles of unmarked paths to follow. Not sure winter is when I want to try these for the first time unless there is a well trodden path beaten into the snow.

Can any of the winter 46'ers comment on how well traveled the more remote peaks are? NH has the Bonds, Isolation and Owl's Head. The first three have trails, some have bushwhacked off them while the other two have bushwhacks between parts of the trail to cut the distance or elevation gain. In comparison, Allen, the three Santa's & the Sewards have miles of unmarked paths to follow. Not sure winter is when I want to try these for the first time unless there is a well trodden path beaten into the snow.
It all depends on the Winter and the recent weather. Sometimes the Sewards and the Santononis are extremely difficult, and other times they are a piece of cake. I was lucky to experience the latter for the Sewards, but the former for the Santanonis. We followed a well packed trail to 3 Sewards once. But I organized a trip back in 2006 to the Santas that we refer to as the 'Huge Fail'. Over 20 strong hikers tried to climb the Santas that day, but thanks to a blizzard that moved in on us, only a few people were able to summit just 1 peak (Panther). It took us 3/4 tries to get all 3. We lucked out on Allen as well, but were turned back on Cliff and Redfield, on 2 different trips. As they say "Conditions are EVERYTHING!"