On the Pernicious Effects of Being Struck By Lightning

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting. When a lady friend and I were knocked off our feet by a tremendous bang at the intersection of the AT and the Benton trail on Mooselauke in July a couple of summers ago we immediately noticed our legs were asleep (totally numb) from the knees down. After sitting there worrying for about ten minutes everything came back to a normal feeling and we continued to the summit and out the Glencliff trail.. About 100 feet from where we were knocked down, we observed a freshly stripped tree about ten feet off the trail. The ground along that section of trail looked like it had been roto-tilled.

To date I don't think either of us has suffered any after effects from the incident.

I have heard that we might have acquired super powers from the incident, but so far nothing has arisen.

When we lived in the country, our home backed up on a forest. After a big electrical storm I was walking in the woods and saw where a strike had hit a large tree. The lightning followed down the trunk and there was a long section of forest floor chewed up with soil and rocks thrown for quite a distance. It appears the lightning followed one of the tree roots out underneath the soil. Sounds like what you observed.