AMC Boston Winter Hiking Program

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PamW

Reaction score
Many of us have been hiking for years in all 4 seasons. But for many newer hikers, getting out in winter is intimidating. The Boston AMC hosts a great Winter Hiking program with 5 classes about layering, gear, boots, weather analysis, safety etc and 19 different trips for budding winter hikers to practice in. The NH chapter also has a terrific program. Please pass the word. More info here about the Boston program (First class is 11/5): http://www.hbbostonamc.org/index.php/Table/Winter/ Info on the NH Chapter winter workshop here: http://amc-nh.org/committee/excursions/index-winterworkshop.php

Pam, do you know if there are any programs on crampon and and ice axe usage? Thanks

Tuck

Good question Tuck. Yes. The Boston Chapter has two Above Treeline Workshops where participants learn ice axe and cramponing techniques and practice them and self-arrest on a Saturday then climb Washington via Lion's Head on Sunday. Really a great weekend. I totally recommend. Spaces are reserved for registrants of the program, but if they don't fill, spaces have occasionally opened up.

To clarify the above - crampons, ice axes and their use are covered as part of the material in the course manual and 5 classroom sessions of the AMC Boston Chapter Winter Hiking Program that Pam introduced at the head of this thread. Each 2-hour evening class includes a blend of succinct presentations and interactive, hands-on demos and discussions with experienced AMC leaders.

The Above Treeline Workshops that Pam mentioned constitute two of the program's 19 elective winter hiking and backpacking outings, each of which enables participants to put the skills and associated gear covered in the classroom sessions into practice. These outings are intended primarily for program participants, but sometimes a few open spots remain after program participants have had their dibs. They typically become available on the AMC Activity Database (aka online trip listing system) website with a month or more of lead time to folks outside the program with appropriate experience.

If you're interested in the Winter Hiking Program, you can register for it right now via the first link above. You do not have to be an AMC member to register.
I second Pam's recommendation for this program -- it routinely garners overwhelmingly positive feedback. [Disclaimer: Pam and I do both teach and lead for the program.]

Alex

Last edited:
Pam and Alex,

I would love to do the entire program, but unfortunately don't have the time for the full commitment. I very comfortable will all aspects of winter hiking except crampons and ice axe usage. I have spent a fair bit of time above tree line in winter and am a bit self taught. Would love to get an expert to show me the "right" way to use my gear. Thanks for info.

Tuck

Totally understand Tuck. Keep an eye on www.outdoors.org to see if the Boston Chapter Above Treeline Workshop gets listed for general registration. I also believe that the NH Chapter may have a weekend devoted to advanced techniques, although I can't tell you much about the details.

I was able to clear my schedule and just registered for the full program. I am very excited. Hope to meet you both. Tuck

Great! Look forward to meeting you Tuck!