Bike Path At Skoocumchuk Trailhead

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DayTrip

Reaction score
I went up to Lafayette Fri evening via Skoocumchuk Trail and got to wondering about where the bike path that leaves that parking lot goes. Is that the same path that makes its way all the way down to Flume Visitor center? It seems to be on Google Maps but it appears there are other branches along the way and it is dashed on map so I wasn't sure if all those branches are paved or for that matter are even there. The reason I ask is that I hike alone and have been wanting to do a Franconia Ridge Traverse and was thinking it might be possible to stash a bike at Skoocumchuk and then hike up from Flume Center.

Having said that, I own a mountain bike but I am hardly a biker. If this route would involve a lot of uphill or big hills it's not for me (especially after a lengthy hike like that). It seems like you would be generally going downhill from there on a nice gentle "coast" back all the way to Flume but that first section as it wraps around toward Cannon mountain seems like it may involve quite a climb. Anyone ever done it? Anyone know if there are maps of this path? Curious if this is a realistic option.

Yes it's the same bike path that goes to the Flume Visitors Center. It's about 200 feet of uphill to the Tram lot, then mostly downhill after that with a few short ups. A full description is in the WMG and it is shown on the map. I believe the proper name is the Franconia Notch Recreation Path.

Yes it's the same bike path that goes to the Flume Visitors Center. It's about 200 feet of uphill to the Tram lot, then mostly downhill after that with a few short ups. A full description is in the WMG and it is shown on the map. I believe the proper name is the Franconia Notch Recreation Path.

It's in the White Mountain Guide?? Never even thought to look there. Thanks. I'll check it out.

Perfect. I think based on this info I'd likely come down Greenleaf Trail and catch the path in that area around the footbridges. Would I access that area from the lot at Cannon that has Kinsman Ridge Trail trailhead?

Perfect. I think based on this info I'd likely come down Greenleaf Trail and catch the path in that area around the footbridges. Would I access that area from the lot at Cannon that has Kinsman Ridge Trail trailhead?
The bike path is on the west side of Rte 93 between Lafayette Place and the trailhead for Greenleaf Trail. Links to maps can be found at http://www.nhstateparks.org/explore/state-parks/franconia-notch-state-park.aspx Googling "Franconia Notch Recreation Path" will find you a number of links to info on the path...

Completing loop hikes by walking on the bike path is very practical--I've done it a number of times.

Doug

There is one big problem with the bike path going from Skook trailhead to tramway parking: it drops about 200 feet to pass below I 93 and regains them rather steeply ... most unwelcome after a big hike. At the big Governor Galen parking lot (immediately after the Lafayette Bridge) the bike path makes a sharp right and drops. The road leading to the parking area continues at the level until NH 18 from where you can rejoin the bike path. I think it is quite clear in the OSM map of that area.

[Added]Also clear on Google Maps.[/Added]

Last edited:
I did a similar loop to what you want to do, with bike spot this summer. Here's the blog post: http://nh48.wordpress.com/2014/06/30/franconia-ridge-traverse-and-bike-spot-6-23-14/

You'll definitely want to end your hiking at the northern end of the notch. I have done the bike ride previously from south to north, and it seemed like it was quite a bit of uphill. Probably wasn't, but . . . . anyway.

For the trip above, I locked my bike at the tramway station in the bike rack. If you come down the Greenleaf Trail, walk down the freeway ramp and under the freeway overpasses and into the parking lot. You'll end up at the same parking lot that you'd go to for the Kinsman Ridge Trail up to Cannon. I then drove the car down to the Basin parking area - at the end of my trip I didn't have to drive back through the notch to turn around, I could just get on the freeway and head south. At the beginning of the hiking portion, I used the Basin bushwhack to hike up to the Liberty Springs Trail and then on to the Flume Slide Trail, etc. The bike ride back down the notch after the hike was fun. There was only one small, short hill in the beginning, and after that, I didn't have to hardly pedal at all. Lots of fun and a great way to end the day.

There is one big problem with the bike path going from Skook trailhead to tramway parking: it drops about 200 feet to pass below I 93 and regains them rather steeply ... most unwelcome after a big hike. At the big Governor Galen parking lot (immediately after the Lafayette Bridge) the bike path makes a sharp right and drops. The road leading to the parking area continues at the level until NH 18 from where you can rejoin the bike path. I think it is quite clear in the OSM map of that area.

This stretch was awful when I did it a couple winters ago. We snowshoes up Greenleaf and down the Skook, then took the FNRP back to the tram lot. It was a slog. Sad part is, we had two cars at the tram. Ooops!

I used it for putting together a Lonesome Lake, KRT trip & for a Franconia Ridge traverse and there was one short steep part between Cannon & Lonesome but it's not bad. Other's have answered the other part which was good to hear. That might be a ride I'd want to do first. (For other bike shuttles, I usually like to bike first except when doing the Wildcats, leave the bike at PNVC and drive ti 19 Mile and then hike back to the bike.)

That was the main reason for my question. It looked like that initial section would be most unpleasant after a long day. I had forgotten Greenleaf Trail comes out near Cannon so that is a far more practical starting or ending point.

That was the main reason for my question. It looked like that initial section would be most unpleasant after a long day. I had forgotten Greenleaf Trail comes out near Cannon so that is a far more practical starting or ending point.
I hiked the Skookumchuck-Greenleaf loop several years ago. (Walked the bike path section.) An enjoyable route. There are some nice views from the bike path between the two trail heads.

Doug

That was the main reason for my question. It looked like that initial section would be most unpleasant after a long day.

I parked my car at the north end and rode north to south in the morning. There was nobody on the bike path, so it was an easy ride. One thing I was concerned about was if my bike was stolen during the day (unlikely), I would not be stuck at the north end with no transportation.

I parked my car at the north end and rode north to south in the morning. There was nobody on the bike path, so it was an easy ride. One thing I was concerned about was if my bike was stolen during the day (unlikely), I would not be stuck at the north end with no transportation.

That is a pretty good idea too. Wouldn't have given it any thought in the past but things are different now. And my bike skills are less than desirable so if I crash early it gives me all day to get help. :)

FYI in winter that's a groomed snowmobile trail. Stay on the edge, use caution, and I recommend having a headlamp set to flasher mode and pointing backwards if you're on it after dark.

Two comments on the bike path. I like walking it. I have done the entire path with a bike and it is easy going south, a few up hills, but very manageable. One thing I did notice 2 weeks ago, that I didnt like to see, is a sign posted across the street from the Old Man, in that little parking lot. Is a sign stating " No Pet's allowed". I was coming off the Cannon range and had to get back to Lafeyette place with my dog, so I had no choice. Is it me or is this just another example of NH being non-dog friendly?

Officially Franconia Notch State Park has had a no dogs policy for some time. I have not seen any signs posted except at the lodges, though.

Two comments on the bike path. I like walking it. I have done the entire path with a bike and it is easy going south, a few up hills, but very manageable. One thing I did notice 2 weeks ago, that I didnt like to see, is a sign posted across the street from the Old Man, in that little parking lot. Is a sign stating " No Pet's allowed". I was coming off the Cannon range and had to get back to Lafeyette place with my dog, so I had no choice. Is it me or is this just another example of NH being non-dog friendly?

I've never had a problem walking around FNSP with Marlie. For the most part the signs are for around the buildings and other "tourist attractions". Common sense tells me that a leash is a good idea for the bike path.

The Pemi Tr makes for a more dog friendly, and off the radar, route between the Tram lot and Lafayette Place.

Assuming the FNRP is a "hiking" trail, all is well. :) Looks like leashes are mandatory.

The bike path's route is pretty clearly shown on the AMC maps. Note there are places where it's a striped route on the edge of a parking lot; in those cases it may be wiser to merge with traffic across the lot. Mohamed has a mileage list that is very useful.

I would not shrug off the bike handling skills required to safely descend that path, particularly if you're wearing a pack (at the end of a long day, in fading light...). No superhuman abilities required, but factor it into your planning. See some of John Allen's pictures and commentary.

My personal guess is that, since the Parkway is closed to bicycles and the bike replaces foot rather than car travel, a hike involving a bike spot along the path is legit for 4000-footer club purposes, but I haven't seen an explicit statement to that effect.