The Dix Range

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mkogut

Reaction score
I recently hiked (9-28-14) Macomb, South Dix, East Dix, Hough and Dix. Though, my favorite peak was The Beckhorn. We camped at the newly moved lean-to near Slide Brook, parking in the Elk Lake lot. We climbed the Macomb slide which was not as difficult or confusing as some reports have led me to beleive. We then traversed South Dix to East Dix, back to South Dix then over to Hough Peak.

In the col between Hough and SD we encountered an area where people have obviously camped. There were no markings there and could have easily gone down the Lillian Brook trail by accident. With a little back tracking and hunting about we found the trail to the top of Hough. It would be nice to have some marker or cairn in the area to direct our path.

It was windy on top and and a little buggy on Hough. Despite that, the views were gorgeous. Being rather late in the day we got to see the sun and mountains casting long ominous shadows across the valleys and peaks. But, that's another story . . .

We exited off of Dix via the Beckhorn trail. I loved the Beckhorn and think that is a better destination than Dix although the Dix slide is a joy. I hiked Dix about 15 years ago and didn't know the Beckhorn existed. To be honest, they day we hiked it, the summit was socked in and we couldn't see anything.

At any rate, here is a video I made of our trip.
http://youtu.be/RusfvOQuGec

If anyone takes this same route, I suggest you leave early and "be prepared." If you watch the video, you'll know what I mean.