Really Warm Hat

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DayTrip

Reaction score
I'm looking for an extremely warm hat for use when stopping on winter hikes and for emergency purposes. Having a surprisingly hard time finding one, at least on the "mainstream" outlets like EMS, REI, Backcountry.com, etc. Anyone have a recommendation for a super warm hat, be it thick wool, some sort of lined Gore Tex item, is there a such thing as a down or Primaloft hat, etc?

Appreciate the feedback. Thanks.

I have a layering system for my head like everything else. I don't camp out in winter but on my hikes I'll generally go hatless as long as I'm strenuously generating heat. If anything, I'll start with a fleece headband. Next up is a pure wool Navy watch cap (Coast Guard issue many years ago and it served me well during Arctic operations). Don't bother with the acrylic blends, some sold in military surplus stores, IMNSHO they're useless except for the flashy colors. Final layer is the hood on my jacket drawn tight. In extreme conditions, there might be a balacava or fleece neckwarmer drawn up over part of my head and under that good ole watch cap.

A fleece or wool balaclava is very warm. It can be worn with a hat and under a jacket or shell hood if need be.

Fleece is available in breathable or wind-blocking forms. Wind-blocking is warmer, but I tend to collect sweat under the wind-blocking version. A tightly woven wool both gets rid of excess moisture and blocks up to a moderate wind. (A breathable balaclava and watch cap make a nice combination for use when moving or when stationary. I also sleep in them.)

A facemask is also surprisingly warm. (You lose a lot of heat from your face...) One can buy separate facemasks or combined balaclavas and facemasks.

Doug

A really warm hood attached to a really warm insulated parka will work better.

Yes. The standard is having a hooded down parka easily accessible for breaks and to put it on right away.

But, I'm happy with one of these: http://www.bemidjiwoolenmills.com/details.php?itemid=bm07_170

Cabela's has a few warm hats on their website

I would use this at camp maybe.

I have a hooded fleece I wear under a hooded shell and will take the hoods on and off as needed and will add a wool sherpa's hat too.

I have a layering system for my head like everything else. I don't camp out in winter but on my hikes I'll generally go hatless as long as I'm strenuously generating heat. If anything, I'll start with a fleece headband. Next up is a pure wool Navy watch cap (Coast Guard issue many years ago and it served me well during Arctic operations). Don't bother with the acrylic blends, some sold in military surplus stores, IMNSHO they're useless except for the flashy colors. Final layer is the hood on my jacket drawn tight. In extreme conditions, there might be a balacava or fleece neckwarmer drawn up over part of my head and under that good ole watch cap.

I pretty much do the same thing (just swap the fancy military paraphernalia for a (wool? it was a gift) Marmot hat. The layering system is pretty important as it give you more options for managing heat and moisture. I use a neck warmer as a headband while I moving, and I have a balaclava and my hat, as well as my jacket's hood. My shell has a good, but my down does not (personal preference). The key is being prepared and being proactive. If you know you're not going to move for a while or are about to hit some exposure, or it's getting dark, or your are done climbing etc., layer up. Don't wait til you are cold.

And to answer the OP'ss original question - no, I don't. Sorry. :) But have you tried looking behind the cushion of the chair?

At rest in minus 15 degree campsite conditions in the Whites, I haven't needed to go beyond my standard hiking layers - which for my head will max out at a heavy fleece Mountain Hardwear beanie, under a heavy soft shell hood, under a hard shell hood. The beanie is warmer than a wool watch hat, and the schoeller-under hard shell combo is also amazing. If there's moderate wind, I'll add a T1 (lightweight) balaclava. Heavier wind? Goggles/mask on the trail; in the tent at camp!