Camping Hacks

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomhollo

Reaction score
Does anyone have any good camping hacks (i.e. DIY projects) to share? I always love a good project to tide me over until the weekend of a hike arrives, but I feel like I've read basically all "camping hacks" lists on the web and many of them aren't that impressive or interesting. Maybe I can get some better suggestions out of this group that knows the biz.

And if I've missed a preexisting thread, please advise.

To start it off, here are a couple I like (albeit probably not new to anyone):
1) the egg carton fire starter (melt
melt wax, pour in cardboard egg carton slots, stir in lint/wood bits/cardboard/etc.)
2) altoid candle (disassemble 6 tea candles, sit wicks in altoids tin, melt candles, pour in wax)
3) eggs in a bottle (crack some eggs into a half liter water bottle and carry into backcountry worry free)

An old Cree I once camped with told me his favorite fire starter "indian trick", shavings from an artificial fireplace log. He also described how his wife, a pistol packing momma was she, was alone in camp and sent some overly friendly interlopers promptly on their way at the mere glance of the device under her jacket.

"Hack" is a new one to me but I guess one of my favorites is to freeze a few of those small juice cartons to keep things chilled in an insulated lunch bag at least for the first night out. I've also frozen a spare water bottle on hot summer hikes; by afternoon it has melted but you're treated to nice cold water. Warmed my heart when a backcountry student imitated that ... unfortunately, it was early December and it never did thaw out.

Helle knife kit

This one will keep you busy for a while, and at the end you'll have something very useful in the woods, as well as something to casually show off in front of your companions. :cool:
I don't have a connection with any of these vendors, but Ragweed Forge has a very good rep among folks I know:
Helle knife kit

How about building a hanging stove rig? I made one out of an aluminum brownie pan and 4 wires (similar to bicycle brake cables). Connect the wires to each corner of the pan and together at the top. I tie a rope between two trees, hang the pan at chest height, place a canister stove in the pan and cook without bending over.