Trails with Ladders

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seems to me, this subject should be broken down into route with stairs and routes with ladders. The reason I say that, is that my dog can climb all the stairs, but doesn't like ladders. For instance, the Willey stairs, no problem, Six Husbands trail, that is not on our radar. Just my 2 cents.

About a year ago I came upon an aluminum ladder leaning (un-secured) against a ledge on the A.T. in Vermont. I started that day on River Road in Killington and went north. I believe the ladder was about 1/2 to 3/4 of a mile north of the campground who's name I can't remember. I had the feeling that this trail section had been recently relocated, so maybe the situation has changed since then.

There are several metal rungs going up a rock on Saddleback Mountain in Maine, and a metal ladder on The Horn.

There's a ladder on The Horn? (Pilot Range/Kilkenny Ridge Trail?), or are there 2 mountains known as The Horn? Though that would explain why it was such a PITA to get onto the summit if I missed a ladder....

There's a ladder on The Horn? (Pilot Range/Kilkenny Ridge Trail?), or are there 2 mountains known as The Horn? Though that would explain why it was such a PITA to get onto the summit if I missed a ladder....

He means Saddleback, The Horn. The second peak of the two Saddlebacks in Maine. Here is the ladder I believe he is talking about. And the rungs.

Thanks to everyone who helped out!

Here is the final 'list' of trails we've all identified. Let me know if there are any edits required.
Ladder Trails

Now just need to find some time to hike all the ones I haven't done yet....really looking forward to Six Husbands Trail and the Willey Range Trail!

Seems to me, this subject should be broken down into route with stairs and routes with ladders. The reason I say that, is that my dog can climb all the stairs, but doesn't like ladders. For instance, the Willey stairs, no problem, Six Husbands trail, that is not on our radar. Just my 2 cents.

Did the Loaves on Sunday and thought about thing. I guess the distinction I would make is that ladders are usually descended facing uphill and stairs are usually done facing downhill. The set on Middle Sugarloaf would be stairs in this case.

There are multiple ladders/stairs on the Grafton Loop Trail. Southbound on the Western side of the trail coming off, I believe Bald Mountain, there is a series of 10 or 12 sets of steep wooden stairs.

There are multiple ladders/stairs on the Grafton Loop Trail. Southbound on the Western side of the trail coming off, I believe Bald Mountain, there is a series of 10 or 12 sets of steep wooden stairs.

Yes, close. They are on the east side of Stowe Mtn.

Did the Loaves on Sunday and thought about thing. I guess the distinction I would make is that ladders are usually descended facing uphill and stairs are usually done facing downhill. The set on Middle Sugarloaf would be stairs in this case.

That would depend on one's ability and agilty. One man's ladder is another man's stairs. (or a woman's stairs as many of the female hikers I know have better balance than me.) The shape of the structure & terrain near by in case one slips comes into play. For the six times I've been up Middle Sugarloaf, I've probably gone down it 3X as a ladder and 3X as stairs. Had a set of stairs on Big Slide with the kids this summer but they were in rough shape so we did them as a ladder.

Between the two. West of Bald, on the east slope of Stowe. These are definitely the stairs variety. Similar to those on the Osseo trail on Mt. Flume.

Last edited:
For the trail on Mt. Monadnock, you call it the Cliff Trail. It's actually the Cliff Walk Trail. Even without the ladder, a great trail.