Suggestions - Overnighter in the Whites w/ hut stay

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VeganHiker

Reaction score
Hi, the weekend of Nov 8th I'm looking to do an overnight loop with an hut stay. Preferably with most of the hiking on Sat and less on Sun. I was looking at Mt. Adams with an overnight at the Madison Hut. Any other suggestions? I'm hiking with a buddy who is a seasoned AT thru-hiker. I'm more of a day-hiker that hikes at a leisurely pace but have done Franconia Ridge, parts of the Devils Path, and some high elevation ascents in the northern Utah, etc. We're not gluttons for punishment or peakbaggers but are willing to work hard for scenic payoff. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Anything in the 11-20 mile range would work. Thanks

Also, am I correct to assume I'll be okay in early Nov. just bringing some microspikes along?

I don't think the Madison Hut will be open for use. I believe only the Carter, Zealand and Lonesome lake huts are open at that time, and they are all self service.

Hiking N. Twin, S. Twin, Zealand on day one (11.7 mi), overnight at Zealand Falls Hut, Hike out Mt Hale on day two (4.9 miles) Just be sure to check the road closures, as Zealand Rd is closed in winters, and that is where the Hale Brook trailhead is located.

This link should help for Hut schedules:
http://www.outdoors.org/lodging/huts/season-dates.cfm

Edit: Didn't realize this link had already been posted

Caretaker season means you'll have to carry and cook your own food - although you have access to the kitchen and all the stoves, pots, pans, flatware, etc.

From Carter Notch you can hit the Wildcats or Carter Dome & Mt Hight fairly easily. From Lonesome you can loop out over the Kinsmans and maybe hit Cannon as well. From Zealand you can hit the Bonds although it's a fairly long day.

Microspikes may well be fine, but it's too early to tell. You could be hiking in shorts or need full crampons. Trails like the Wildcat Ridge trail from the hut to Wildcat A are notoriously steep and even have a slide zone.

you can also entertain renting one of the WMNF cabins (doublehead or black mountain), rent the bretton woods cabin or stay at one of the leanto's at Hermit Lake. Or one of the hut/cabins/bunkhouses below the treeline on the Presidential Range.

Hiking N. Twin, S. Twin, Zealand on day one (11.7 mi), overnight at Zealand Falls Hut, Hike out Mt Hale on day two (4.9 miles) Just be sure to check the road closures, as Zealand Rd is closed in winters, and that is where the Hale Brook trailhead is located.
That route would also require either a car spot or using the abandoned Firewarden's Trail.

Thanks guys, glad I asked. I never stayed overnight in any of the huts (only stopped by on a day hike), so I failed to consider that they might have seasonal schedules. Thanks for the link to the yearly schedule. I'll plan accordingly. We can't do a car spotting because we are driving the 6 hours from NJ together. I'll look into some of the routes you guys suggested. Thanks!

Edit - Checked availability and Zealand is full that night but Lonesome and Carter have availability. Any suggestions on loops using either of those huts?

Last edited:
Update: reservations for two have been made at the Carter Notch Hut.

Any suggestions on the two following options:

Option 1
Nineteen Mile Brook Trail to Hut (3.6 miles)
Check into Hut and Drop off Packs
Slackpack out and back to Carter Dome and Mt Hight (4 miles RT)
Overnight Stay at Hut then back down the 3.6 miles of the Nineteen Mile Brook Trail (3.6)
11.2 miles total
Pro - Slackpacking is always nice

OR

Option 2
Clockwise loop
Nineteen Mile Brook Trail to Carter Dome Trail (1.9 Miles)
Carter Dome Trail up past Mt Hight -> Carter Dome -> Hut (4.2 miles)
Overnight Stay at Hut then back down the 3.6 miles of the Nineteen Mile Brook Trail (3.6)
9.7 miles
Pro - Will see a little more trail (the 1.9 miles of the Carter Dome trail from the 19 Mile Bk Trail up to Mt. Hight) Would I be missing anything special here?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

It doesn't look like anyone has mentioned the Randolph Mountain Club facilities on the north slope of Mt Adams: http://www.randolphmountainclub.org/sheltersinfo/aboutourshelters.html
Crag Camp and Gray Knob are cabins with bunk rooms. They are not as well equipped as the AMC facilities as you will need to bring your own cook gear and other kitchen items. You will need to collect and treat water from a spring. They are first-come, first-served. Gray Knob should have a caretaker but Crag will likely not in November.

I'd choose option 1. Hight and Carter Dome are lovely and face West, towards the Presidential Range - some amazing views are possible, but obviously weather dependent. Since it's dark pretty early these days, if conditions were perfect you could drop your stuff at the hut, slack it up to one or both of the peaks and take in the evening colors and/or sunset. Note that if conditions are anything other than perfect, this is not a good option. The trip down Carter Dome to the hut is steep, and if it's icy you could find yourself in a world of hurt trying to do it in the dark. But you could easily make that assessment on the way up. Regardless, once back at the hut, kick back with the box of wine and or sixer of your favorite canned ale, and enjoy the good life, knowing you've got an easy Sunday. I may actually see you - I've got a Carter-Moriah traverse planned for that weekend. But we'll be at Imp tentsite Sat night.

Option 3 - get in some more miles on the second day. Your packs will be full (minus dinner and breakfast) but it's a shame to waste the opportunity of starting from a high hut.

day 1: up 19 mile, drop excess gear at hut, slackpack to Wildcat A (optionally proceed to wildcat D and/or wait for sunset - but if anything, this side of the notch is even steeper, so count on a very slow descent in the dark).
day 2: Carter Dome, Mt Hight, Zeta Pass, down Carter Dome Trail.

The Carter Dome trail is nothing special, but the view from Mt Hight is an absolute must.

The views from Wildat D are also good if you don't mind ski equipment, but if you are tired at the end of the first day, skip Wildcat and wander around in the boulders in carter notch - it's a very unusual (and photogenic) spot.

(edited to correct my having conflated Wildcat A and Wildcat D. Wildcat A is immediately above the notch, D - the top of the lifts- is some 1.7 miles (and a few PUDs) further down the trail.)

Last edited:
If you're not just looking to peak bag there are some fun trips you could do, but you'll want to book a spot at the desired hut first! I would suggest going up the Wildcat River Trail and dropping your gear at the hut, then going over the Carters (hitting Mt Hight!) and then either return via the Carter-Moriah trial, or descending via the Rainbow trail and then working back up to the hut. Day two you can go up the Wildcats and hike down the Wildcat Walley XC ski trail. You could pretty much do it in reverse as well. Just note that you can skip the Bog Brook crossings by using the Forest Road!

that option 3 is pretty good...wildcat a has a great view down into carter notch etc., and as stated do not pass up Mt. Hight if good weather...sun angle good for you (if any sun around this time of year!) as when you get up high first day (wildcat A) sun will be highlighting to your east, second day up Carter Dome/Hight, sun will highlight Presidential Range etc to the west..luck to you!

Thanks guys, that option 3 sounds really appealing. I was thinking it would be anticlimactic to just go the 3 miles back to the car on Sunday. So what you recommend sounds really good. I'll look into the mileage and topo.

Also - I know none of you can predict the future, but is it safe to assume that I'll most likely be needing to carry both crampons and snowshoes? I was thinking early Nov would be a crampon affair at most but the AMC guy told me when I was making our reservations that he suggests bringing both.

I would be very surprised if you needed snowshoes in early November. The average snowfall in Conway for all of November is 3.9 inches, and much of that melts away. [October is barely measurable.] In other words, the trailheads will most likely be bare, and even up on the ridge there most likely won't be enough snow for snowshoes to be worthwhile. Some kind of traction is good insurance, but crampons are probably overkill and are downright dangerous if there isn't much snow cover. Bring microspikes. Obviously, check the forecast and trail conditions, and if there's a big dump on the 7th, then bring the snowshoes.

No point worrying about it until much closer to the date. I would suspect that snowshoes won't be needed in early November, but it will be pretty clear whether you need them or not before you head up.

Great advice guys, I'll worry about nailing down the route for now and worry about what footwear to bring before leaving.