27 Trekkers Dead From Unexpected Blizzard on Annapurna Circuit

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RollingRock

Reaction score
A massive blizzard hit along the Annapurna route with avalanches and missing trekkers. What a mess! What a horrendous experience being on the Thorong pass when the storm hit. The safest thing to do was hunker down in the tea house and wait it out --- most of the group that tried to make a trek to the next village in the storm died.

Link to New York Times Article

Link to USA Today Article

I hiked the circuit in 96, and we crossed the pass on Oct 24 I think. We had just had the first snow of year but only a trace remained at the pass. The trek down to Muktinath is not one I'd want to attempt in a snowstorm.

RIP.

Would you happen to have any pictures of the trail in that section to give others an idea of how bad it is? The articles make it sound bad, but visuals always make it more clear for me.

The trail itself is just a walk on relatively path. The surrounding terrain is steep and rough and avalanches could easily cover the trail.

Heading up the pass
pass3.jpg

The mountains near the top of the pass
pass5.jpg

Heading down
pass8.jpg

Looking back up the pass from near Muktinath
pass10.jpg

Great to have accompanying photos. Thanks for taking the time to dig them out. :)